+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    SES
    SES is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1

    Disabilities and DUI

    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
    As a paraplegic arrested for a DUI, the officer, smiling, refused to allow me access to my wheelchair. He carried me into the station and sent me home in a cab where I had to crawl to my house as my wheelchair was left in the impounded vehicle despite my pleas. Is this arrest procedure legal?
  2. #2
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Somnambulist University
    Posts
    40,807
    Quote Originally Posted by SES
    Is this arrest procedure legal?
    Cold, callous, yes. And still legal.
  3. #3
    Wizard of Law! is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    We're off to see the Wizard . . . The wonderful Wizard of Law!
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by SES
    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
    As a paraplegic arrested for a DUI, the officer, smiling, refused to allow me access to my wheelchair. He carried me into the station and sent me home in a cab where I had to crawl to my house as my wheelchair was left in the impounded vehicle despite my pleas. Is this arrest procedure legal?

    Next time, don't be a criminal! You want to violate the law? Then expect to be treated with disrespect - - because YOU were disrespecting us and the law!
    Last edited by m martin; 12-13-2005 at 11:13 AM.
  4. #4
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Somnambulist University
    Posts
    40,807
    Not only that... the officer was correct in NOT allowing you to access your wheelchair. If he had, you could have been charged with ANOTHER DUI!!
  5. #5
    BelizeBreeze is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    "Harvey and Me"
    Posts
    25,173
    Quote Originally Posted by JETX
    Not only that... the officer was correct in NOT allowing you to access your wheelchair. If he had, you could have been charged with ANOTHER DUI!!
    I would have loved to see that chase on "COPS"
    Last edited by m martin; 12-16-2005 at 11:23 AM.
  6. #6
    BigMistakeFl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,618

    BigMistakeFl

    Yes, people in battery powered wheelchairs have been arrested for DUI, with no car in sight.
  7. #7
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Somnambulist University
    Posts
    40,807
    Yep. I have seen DUI arrests where the 'driver' was in or on:
    - Battery powered wheelchairs
    - Golf carts on public property
    - jet skis
    - snowmobiles
    - bicycles
    - and even riding lawnmowers
  8. #8
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,921
    Quote Originally Posted by JETX
    Yep. I have seen DUI arrests where the 'driver' was in or on:
    - Battery powered wheelchairs
    - Golf carts on public property
    - jet skis
    - snowmobiles
    - bicycles
    - and even riding lawnmowers
    I'll see your golf cart and raise you a [URL=http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=3327983]horse.[/URL]

    Oddly enough, most of the horse DUI cases seem to come from down south. Go figure
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
  9. #9
    netflow is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    I can't imagine that free thinking people would approve of a wheelchair DUI. A Florida Judge seems to agree with me.

    [url]http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/04/Hernando/Judge_tosses_out_DUI_.shtml[/url]
  10. #10
    Zephyr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Funkytowwwwwn
    Posts
    9,043
    Quote Originally Posted by netflow
    I can't imagine that free thinking people would approve of a wheelchair DUI. A Florida Judge seems to agree with me.

    [url]http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/04/Hernando/Judge_tosses_out_DUI_.shtml[/url]

    whyever not? I am sure it would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to impede traffic, or even cause accidents/injury, or posibly hit a oedestrian with their chair, or even damage property with the chair, freethinking is not the issue, poor judgement is
  11. #11
    netflow is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    whyever not? I am sure it would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to impede traffic, or even cause accidents/injury, or posibly hit a oedestrian with their chair, or even damage property with the chair, freethinking is not the issue, poor judgement is
    Thanks for setting me straight. Your nietzchien approach to the disabled is refreshing. Who are they to think that they can indulge in the same tang as the rest of us?

    If the only thing I had to worry about, was an inebriated individual who happened to be wheelchair-bound, I would live to survive an age that would humble Methuselah himself.
  12. #12
    Two Bit is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    164
    If they want to get drunk, then they should get a non-motorized wheel chair.

    I've charged a guy with DUI on his four wheeler in his back yard.

    One of my officers stopped a guy who was weaving down the street on a riding lawnmower. On the trial date, the lawyer had to do a lot of digging before he finally conceded that it did fit the meaning of motorized vehicle.
  13. #13
    Zephyr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Funkytowwwwwn
    Posts
    9,043
    Quote Originally Posted by netflow
    Thanks for setting me straight. Your nietzchien approach to the disabled is refreshing. Who are they to think that they can indulge in the same tang as the rest of us?

    If the only thing I had to worry about, was an inebriated individual who happened to be wheelchair-bound, I would live to survive an age that would humble Methuselah himself.
    not at all, but everyone-including people with disabilities should act responsibly and be held accountable for their actions.

    just because someone is in a wheelchair does not give them a free pass on poor judgement
    Last edited by Zephyr; 12-14-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Children with disabilities...
    By Luren2006 in forum Civil Rights & Discrimination Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
  2. americans with disabilities
    By hooperjanice in forum Job Discrimination and Harassment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM
  3. Pets/disabilities
    By Alphawolf90 in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 01:14 PM
  4. disabilities act
    By lyle in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2000, 12:53 PM
  5. disabilities act
    By lyle in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2000, 02:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.