• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissed OUI Charge STILL on record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamakin4

Maine

2000-OUI charge for .08-hired attorney for jury trial
2001-DMV Standard Administrative license suspension - 90 days
2004-New DA who didn't want to take it to trial.
OUI charge dismissed by DA/AG in exchange for Reckless Conduct

Accurate criminal history: 1 count Reckless Conduct in 2000.

Question: How to get dismissed OUI charge and associated administrative license suspension off record? I've been told that had I been found innocent at a jury trial, my record would still reflect OUI charge and license suspension.

Doesn't dismissed mean "gone"? How can a dismissed charge follow me around and interfere with my ability to be hired?

Finally, if an organization has informed me that, due to the presence of the dismissed charge on my record, I am unsuitable for them----am I correct in believing that EVERYONE with whom they contract must be held to the same standard i.e. no oui charges, dismissed or otherwise, on their records?

Thanks,
Surprised and Discouraged in MaineWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

You would need an attorney. 10 seconds on Google tells me Maine doesn't expunge for this but a Maine attorney could tell you for sure.

CdwJava

Your state criminal offender record likely reflects arrests and convictions. This is typical and reasonable. In my state there is a process to remove arrests for which no charges were ever made at court, but I cannot say whether such a process exists in your state or not. I would assume that the state record reflects that there was no conviction.

Check with a local attorney.

mamakin4

you are correct-the record reflects no conviction. Reflects dismissal---but mere fact of having been charged seems to have same impact as having been found guilty.

So, wonder if those Duke LaCross players, charged with rape but charges later dismissed, will have that on their records following them around.

Dismissed, in what's left of my mind, means "dismissed"---that the charge remains and seems to have the same impact as "guilty" confounds me.

Thanks for responses.

Jaded in Maine

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">