• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissed vs. not guilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smiliez

My question involves traffic court in the State of: California

My friend went into an arrangement for a citation minor in possession. The judge offered the option to taking a traffic class and stated that the charges would be dismissed after the completion of the course. I was with her during the incident and she was not guilty but she decided to take the traffic class that the judge offered.
1. Would it make a difference whether or not she pleaded 'not guilty' and having it 'dismissed' after completion of the course?
2. Will the 'dismissed' charges appear on her records?
3. After the arrangement she received a paper with a "PN" written under her 'PLEA' What does this mean?
4. What are the difference between a case that was 'dismissed' and found 'not guilty'?
Thanks!!

JETX

1. Would it make a difference whether or not she pleaded 'not guilty' and having it 'dismissed' after completion of the course?
Yes. If she pled NG, the court still find her guilty anyway.

2. Will the 'dismissed' charges appear on her records?
The arrest itself might show but the 'dismissed' means that there was NOT a conviction.

[quote3. After the arrangement she received a paper with a "PN" written under her 'PLEA' What does this mean?[/quote]
Possibly 'Plea Noted', but it could mean anything from something relevant to a clerk making a note for no peanut butter on a sandwich. Ask the court.

4. What are the difference between a case that was 'dismissed' and found 'not guilty'?
Dismissed is just that... no adjudication. Not Guilty means that the court felt there was sufficient evidence to charge and bring to trial.... but the court or jury didn't find.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">