• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DL Suspension / DUI Classes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

courtneyjewart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am in desperate need of some advice. I got two DUIs in one year (1999) almost ten years ago. It turned out to be the worst thing I have ever gone through - the hearings, the fines, and most of all the CLASSES! The class that I was enrolled in was weekly and would be that way for 18 months. Midway through the enrollment, I was struck with some serious family emergencies and the deaths of both of my parents and ended up not going being able to make any future classes. I did not even have a car at that point, so I wasn't too worried about the consequences of not completing those classes - that is until now.

So now that it is 2009, my license has been suspended for this entire 10 years and now I would like to get it back. I have heard that your record is clear after 10 years, so would I be able to get it back without the classes? What is the process - just apply for a DL renewal at the DMV Since my reond is empty?

If not, is there any way to fight the DMV order with an attorney at this point? Will I even be able to get a restricted license if I have to attend the classes all over again? Will they allow me to just do half the 18-month program if I already completed half in 1999? And only pay half? The original place that I took the classes does not exist anymore since it is almost 10 years ago, so I have no way to get any information from my previous classes, like payment and attendence info.

Please advise!! THANKS

Last edited:

CdwJava

Depending on the authority code for the suspension (which would involve the offense for which you were charged/convicted and your age at the time), the DMV may not be able to clear your suspension until they receive a record that you have completed the classes.

No, ten years doesn't clear your record. Ten years is the lookback period for prior DUI offenses.

So, what did the DMV representative tell you that you needed?

- Carl

Last edited:
Call the DMV. They can give you the correct info. My guess is that you will have to complete what ever was required before you can get it back.
Don't despair about it. George Bush still can't get his driving priveledge back in Maine because he never took their 24 class.... That's according to Maines Deep program. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">