• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does ARD really help??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swift2276

I was charged with a DUI in PA back in 1999. I was able to complete the ARD program.

Just a few months ago I was charged with my second DUI in NJ. Does NJ count my first DUI as a conviction like PA does? Will NJ look at my current DUI as my first.

looking for hope...

garrula lingua

For NJ to count the PA DUI, there has to have been a conviction with the offense having all the same elements as NJ's statute (I believe a conviction did not happen with your ARD).

If you get caught DUI in PA, they will count the ARD as a prior (you probably signed an agreement to that effect).

Outside PA, the ARD should not be counted as a DUI.

PS: Why did this happen a second time ?????
You are putting all of us at risk because you drove when you were impaired ... that's bloody selfish.

swift2276

Thank you for the help. Can anyone else confirm this information? Any links you could send me to support this?

foot

There was a poster on here a few months ago in the same situation. NJ did charge him with his first DUI.

paguy88

ARD is a great program not just used for DUI BTW

you walk away with a full expungment....

but you do agree if you do it again to get the second time of penalty wise

take advantage of the program learn from the mistake and selfish act don't do it again

and you can move on with a normal and criminal record free life.

swift2276

thanks to all for the help. This has been really tough. Im looking forward to moving on from this terrible mistake. If there is any more information that anyone can offer please add it to this blog.

paguy88

Except when you do it again, like the OP. So I guess the answer to the original question - "Does ARD really help??" - is no, because sure enough, he was DUI again.
well of course their are exceptions to every rule..

that said

50% of people who do ARD for DUi will get arrested for DUi again in 5 years...

the rest of the 50% that don't each year the number drops on who gets arrested again

point being... you are saying becasue he gets arrested again..... and he did it does not work

I don't agree with you 100% vs my point

my point is if you do ARD you walk away with out a convition and a clean criminal record. In that case it works great.

swift2276

I really don't understand the need to point out that it was foolish to put myself in this situation again. Please understand I don't need to be taught a lesson here from anyone. The system will take care of that. I am a grown man that is fully aware of what happened here. Anyone looking to play Mom or Dad in this situation can keep their comments to them self.
For the rest that understand the real reason for this website, please continue to offer any help possible. This is a difficult situation to work with and I need as much help as the next guy. I'm hoping that a mature person catches this comment and can help me with my initial question.

Isis1

I really don't understand the need to point out that it was foolish to put myself in this situation again. Please understand I don't need to be taught a lesson here from anyone. The system will take care of that. I am a grown man that is fully aware of what happened here. Anyone looking to play Mom or Dad in this situation can keep their comments to them self.
For the rest that understand the real reason for this website, please continue to offer any help possible. This is a difficult situation to work with and I need as much help as the next guy. I'm hoping that a mature person catches this comment and can help me with my initial question.
you could just stop drinking? or driving?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

you were already told....you took the ARD on the condition you would not commit the crime again and your record would be expunged. when you failed to be criminal free, the ARD was eleminated and your second DUI is to be treated like a second DUI. therefore, the ARD is of no worth to you since you did not follow the conditions.

swift2276

Thanks. Your statement contradicts what I have heard before. Are you certain the NJ will look at this case as a second?
I'm hoping to run across someone who has experienced this first hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">