• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does my state know about my DUI from another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julius_

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas, California, Pennsylvania

This is a unique situation and I haven't found a straight answer yet but here goes....I turned in my PA license to get a KS license in KS. My license was suspended in KS for dui, 1 year of interlock 1 year of suspension. Before the suspension became effective from KS, I moved to California and got a California license; I gave them the PA license to cancel because my KS license had been confiscated by the dui.

So, I have a few months left on my KS suspension and then 1 more year of interlock. However, I checked with the DMV in CA and I had my police friend out here in Cali check my license and both sources say my CA license is in good standing and valid. My police friend said something did show up from Kansas as far as a wet reckless type thing goes but nothing about license status.

Obviously I fell into some kind of grey area here. So I'm thinking that they checked my PA license record, found nothing, then issued me a CA license and never saw the KS stuff.

Question: Will insurance cover a claim if I was in an accident using my CA license? Or could they argue that I don't have a valid license? Technically my Cali license is valid but as I understand it you cant have two licenses and one happens to be suspended.

Question 2: Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to not have to get the interlock device, I would much rather pay or do community service or something else to avoid the horrors I have heard about them.

Question 3: Will California ever find out about my sins in Kansas?

My theory, correct if wrong: The DMV of a newly issuing state does a background check on your previous state with the license you hand them to cancel. For example, CA checked my PA record. If I moved to Texas, the Texas DMV would check CA records, and so on. Since background checks are expensive and time consuming, they don't check states where they have no reason to believe you lived there. So, in theory, they will never know about Kansas. Is this accurate? Any suggestions here?

dave33

julius, There is no simple answer. All you can do... Get a valid license for whatever state you are in, check your status in that state.

Are you staying in California? Is keeping your license in Cali your only concern?

julius_

julius, There is no simple answer. All you can do... Get a valid license for whatever state you are in, check your status in that state.

Are you staying in California? Is keeping your license in Cali your only concern?
I am staying in California and I currently hold a valid California license. But is it valid in the eyes of insurance companies?

dave33

I am staying in California and I currently hold a valid California license. But is it valid in the eyes of insurance companies?
Sure, I cannot see why not. If they feel you are a threat than they will cancel you or raise your premium.

So far you have been lucky. Keep doing what you are doing and hope for the best. Volunteer no information. goodluck.

julius_

Sure, I cannot see why not. If they feel you are a threat than they will cancel you or raise your premium.

So far you have been lucky. Keep doing what you are doing and hope for the best. Volunteer no information. goodluck.
What I didn't want to happen was this scenario: I get into a collision with my California valid license. The insurance company does a background check and sees my Kansas license is suspended. They decide not to cover the claim because I wasn't a legal driver.

las365

What I didn't want to happen was this scenario: I get into a collision with my California valid license. The insurance company does a background check and sees my Kansas license is suspended. They decide not to cover the claim because I wasn't a legal driver.
You can prevent this scenario from occurring by not driving.

las365

When you filled out the California license application, did you list that you had obtained a license is Kansas? How did you answer the question about whether you have ever had a personal problem because of alcohol?

It seems to me that you obtained your CA license by giving false information to the DMV. But maybe they would be cool with that. Why don't you contact them and ask?

Are you still driving after you drink alcohol?

julius_

When you filled out the California license application, did you list that you had obtained a license is Kansas? How did you answer the question about whether you have ever had a personal problem because of alcohol?

It seems to me that you obtained your CA license by giving false information to the DMV. But maybe they would be cool with that. Why don't you contact them and ask?

Are you still driving after you drink alcohol?
Form DL-44 question 5b; "Have you ever had your driving privilege suspended, revoked, cancelled, etc...." Correct and truthful answer was no. No sentence had been meted out yet and no administrative hearing had been held. I don't recall knowingly giving them any false information. I didn't have a physical Kansas license to give so I gave my PA license. And that's where I'm at.

I've had plenty of brown shirts saying how horrible I am for possessing such depravity. Please, spare me. Looking for options not trolls. Oh, I also wanted to add that since my license is valid and I don't have an interlock I take every opportunity I can to get wasted and drive. Everyone who gets a DUI isn't a habitual drinker but MADD's propaganda worked on you.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas, California, Pennsylvania

This is a unique situation and I haven't found a straight answer yet but here goes....I turned in my PA license to get a KS license in KS. My license was suspended in KS for dui, 1 year of interlock 1 year of suspension. Before the suspension became effective from KS, I moved to California and got a California license; I gave them the PA license to cancel because my KS license had been confiscated by the dui.

So, I have a few months left on my KS suspension and then 1 more year of interlock. However, I checked with the DMV in CA and I had my police friend out here in Cali check my license and both sources say my CA license is in good standing and valid. My police friend said something did show up from Kansas as far as a wet reckless type thing goes but nothing about license status.

Obviously I fell into some kind of grey area here. So I'm thinking that they checked my PA license record, found nothing, then issued me a CA license and never saw the KS stuff.

Question: Will insurance cover a claim if I was in an accident using my CA license? Or could they argue that I don't have a valid license? Technically my Cali license is valid but as I understand it you cant have two licenses and one happens to be suspended.

Question 2: Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to not have to get the interlock device, I would much rather pay or do community service or something else to avoid the horrors I have heard about them.

Question 3: Will California ever find out about my sins in Kansas?

My theory, correct if wrong: The DMV of a newly issuing state does a background check on your previous state with the license you hand them to cancel. For example, CA checked my PA record. If I moved to Texas, the Texas DMV would check CA records, and so on. Since background checks are expensive and time consuming, they don't check states where they have no reason to believe you lived there. So, in theory, they will never know about Kansas. Is this accurate? Any suggestions here?
Form DL-44 question 5b; "Have you ever had your driving privilege suspended, revoked, cancelled, etc...." Correct and truthful answer was no. No sentence had been meted out yet and no administrative hearing had been held. I don't recall knowingly giving them any false information. I didn't have a physical Kansas license to give so I gave my PA license. And that's where I'm at.

I've had plenty of brown shirts saying how horrible I am for possessing such depravity. Please, spare me. Looking for options not trolls. Oh, I also wanted to add that since my license is valid and I don't have an interlock I take every opportunity I can to get wasted and drive. Everyone who gets a DUI isn't a habitual drinker but MADD's propaganda worked on you.
Alrighty then. :cool:

Last edited:

dave33

That is not likely for many reasons.

julius_

That is not likely for many reasons.
Could you please elaborate?

And to the large quote: Before my license was suspended I acquired my California DL. No law was broken. The DMV form asked about any events that had occurred in the past, to which i correctly and truthfully replied in the negative.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Could you please elaborate?

And to the large quote: Before my license was suspended I acquired my California DL. No law was broken. The DMV form asked about any events that had occurred in the past, to which i correctly and truthfully replied in the negative.
The Driver License Compact is an interstate compact used by States of the United States to exchange information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents and forward them to the state where they are licensed known as the home state. Its theme is One Driver, One License, One Record. The home state would treat the offense as if it had been committed at home, applying home state laws to the out-of-state offense. The action taken would include, but not be limited to, points assessed on a minor offense such as speeding and suspension of license or a major violation such as DWI/DUI. It is not supposed to include non-moving violations like parking tickets, tinted windows, loud exhaust, etc.
http://apps.csg.org/ncic/Compact.aspx?id=56

julius_

http://apps.csg.org/ncic/Compact.aspx?id=56
I'm familiar with it and actually would benefit from it. California doesn't give out interlock sentences except under limited circumstances; mine not being one of them. I've inquired before on similar type boards if California would impose the Kansas penalty on me, deal with it here in CA, and thereupon be finished with any dealings in Kansas. The reply I got was that "I had to deal with Kansas first." So far everyone has either been clueless or rude with the exception of a few people who gave me leads but nothing solid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">