• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving priveleges and out of state license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerostarr

So I had my KS drivers license suspended for one year, with a restricted period of one year added on after that. Before the KS one was suspended, I applied for an NE license, which currently makes it legal for me to drive in any state but Kansas. My year period of suspension is almost over in KS, however, I was wondering how the state treats restricted driving privileges. I assume it would be the same terms as before, however since I do not desire to have a KS license again, I was wondering if the restricted terms only apply if you want to reinstate the KS license. In addition, since the state of KS has no records of me having an NE license, how high is the chance of them connecting the NE license to the KS one? The only thing that I can think of would be the name and birth date, but I'm not sure if that would pop up the KS license when an officer would enter in the NE license number. Any thoughts? Obviously the easiest answer would be just not not drive in KS for another year to wait for the restriction period to be over, but I was wondering what other people thought, or if anyone knows exactly what comes up on the police computer based only on a DL number from another state. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So I had my KS drivers license suspended for one year, with a restricted period of one year added on after that. Before the KS one was suspended, I applied for an NE license, which currently makes it legal for me to drive in any state but Kansas.
WRONG. The suspension in Kansas means your license is suspended in ALL states.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So I had my KS drivers license suspended for one year, with a restricted period of one year added on after that. Before the KS one was suspended, I applied for an NE license, which currently makes it legal for me to drive in any state but Kansas. My year period of suspension is almost over in KS, however, I was wondering how the state treats restricted driving privileges. I assume it would be the same terms as before, however since I do not desire to have a KS license again, I was wondering if the restricted terms only apply if you want to reinstate the KS license. In addition, since the state of KS has no records of me having an NE license, how high is the chance of them connecting the NE license to the KS one? The only thing that I can think of would be the name and birth date, but I'm not sure if that would pop up the KS license when an officer would enter in the NE license number. Any thoughts? Obviously the easiest answer would be just not not drive in KS for another year to wait for the restriction period to be over, but I was wondering what other people thought, or if anyone knows exactly what comes up on the police computer based only on a DL number from another state. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

So you have been breaking the law for the last year. Good job.

xerostarr

Actually it isn't. The NE license was acquired before the kansas suspension took place. The state of KS never notified NE because the DUI occurred before they issued me the license. When you get accused of a DUI, you have a period of time between the license hearing in which you license is still valid. In KS, the state was so far backed up that I couldn't have a license hearing for about 6 months. Since the county had confiscated my old license, I went to the DMV and got an new copy of my KS one. After I got this, I used my other permanent address to apply for a NE one. The NE license is still completely valid until the time comes that it needs to be renewed. So then a few months later the state office of motor vehicles held their license hearing and it was decided that my KS DL is no longer valid. However since the state of KS has no legal jurisdiction in the state of NE, the cannot suspend a NE license, they can only petition the state of NE to ask them to uphold the same ruling as they did. In my case, KS has no idea about my NE license, so they were never notified and thus my NE license is still valid. The only thing I cannot do is drive within the state of KS, since they suspended my already obsolete KS as well as KS driving privileges. Anyways, does anyone have a helpful answer?

xerostarr

No, I have not been breaking the law. I get rides from other people when I need to travel in KS, and my car is currently in the state of NE. Like I said, NE has issued a regular DL to me and even after all of the KS trials/hearings has not suspended it. However, although KS cannot suspend the NE license, they can suspend my driving privileges which means I cannot drive within the state. My question is how do restricted driving privileges work, and if I choose to drive in KS again when the privileges are restricted, how easy would it be to connect my NE license to my KS one from a KS police officer.

xerostarr

When you change your permanent residence and get a new driver's license, the one from the state you were in previously is no longer valid, thus the state of KS suspended an obsolete license number. In addition the burden is on the state accusing the individual to report anything regarding licenses of other states to the DMV of the resident's state. Regardless of whether you think using a loophole to get around KS law is a crime or not, the state I'm licensed through has not taken any action against me, and thus I am still legal to drive in any of the 49 states except where my driving privileges are suspended ie KS. So moral bull**** aside, does anyone have an answer for my question?

I_Got_Banned

Point is, and if NE were to check on your license status via the National Driver Registry, it would come up as suspended in KS and accordingly, your driving privileges would also be suspended in NE.

Just because you have a driver's license in hand that says "valid until such and such date" does not mean that it is not suspended with the issuing authority!

So if you were to get pulled over, and if/when the officer runs your license, it will return the record of the suspension and you could be cited for driving while suspended.

xerostarr

I actually know someone in the county DMV which I got my licensed from and they personally do not suspend licenses without a letter from the accusing state. This may vary with other DMV's but that's something I'll deal with when I move next. So how would the NE license pull up the information from the KS one? Out of curiosity. And thank you for being the first helpful reply!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I actually know someone in the county DMV which I got my licensed from and they personally do not suspend licenses without a letter from the accusing state. This may vary with other DMV's but that's something I'll deal with when I move next. So how would the NE license pull up the information from the KS one? Out of curiosity. And thank you for being the first helpful reply!
Huh? The FACT of the matter is that you are driving on a suspended license. You seem to think that you get a pass on it because you've been able to hide it thus far. Good luck. :rolleyes:

I_Got_Banned

When you change your permanent residence and get a new driver's license, the one from the state you were in previously is no longer valid, thus the state of KS suspended an obsolete license number.
Not true.. For one, your KS driver's license number is not obsolete... If you were to return to KS and (assuming your license isn't suspended) and request that they issue you a license, the number will likely be the same as your old one.

That aside, and while KS may have "suspended your license", what matters is that they "suspended your DRIVING PRIVILEGE"... Meaning (again) if you are caught driving, and even though your license says "valid until XX date", you driving privilege is suspended and as such, you are not allowed to use it to drive.

In addition the burden is on the state accusing the individual to report anything regarding licenses of other states to the DMV of the resident's state.
Look up NDR, DLC, NRVC and a host of other compacts (agreements) between most if not all states to systematically report such matters to all other states.

Regardless of whether you think using a loophole to get around KS law is a crime or not, the state I'm licensed through has not taken any action against me, and thus I am still legal to drive in any of the 49 states except where my driving privileges are suspended ie KS. So moral bull**** aside, does anyone have an answer for my question?
Your question cannot be answered in the context you want it to be answered due to the fact that a suspension of your driving privilege in one state means your driving privilege is suspended in ALL states.

But I'll still try....

since the state of KS has no records of me having an NE license, how high is the chance of them connecting the NE license to the KS one?
Chances are equal to 99.9999%

The requirement to report your suspension by KS to other states does not mean that they have to send a letter to each of the 49 states saying "xerostars's license is suspended"... What they do is they enter your suspension information along with your identifying information in a national database (NDR). ALL states have access to the same database. So you can go to any state, give them your identifying info, they will access the data base, find out that your driving privilege is suspended in one state and that would mean you are suspended in ALL states.

Don't believe us? Pick up the phone and call any DMV office nationwide and ask them... They'll tell you the same thing!

xerostarr

I don't have a suspended license. I have suspended DRIVING PRIVILEGES. I already know that driving in any other state is completely legal through my lawyer, and he was the one who informed me this problem in the first place. Now aside from dealing with people acting like trolls from encyclopediadramatica, I'm actually looking for some helpful advice. If you get a DUI in another state other than your home one, it is up to the issuing state to decide whether or not to suspend your license. In my case, the issuing state did not. My situation valid NE license, suspended privileges moving on to restricted privileges in KS. From those facts if you can answer my question, please do. Can't make it any more clear than that. Please stop posting on my question if you don't have any actual information. So far only one of the responders actually addressed the question. Thanks to them for being useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">