• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ayb5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I got my first offense dui in june 2010. Completed asap and everything, but never went to the dmv to activate my restricted license because my roommate and I work together so I would just drive with him to work and didn't ever have to drive anywhere always got rides.
I just quit my job and started school back up. I still didn't drive except for last week. My ride got a lung infection and I couldn't miss class because we have exams coming up. I drove to school on my suspended/restricted license and got pulled over by college pd for making an illegal turn (which I was unaware of). I told her I didn't have my license, she took my information and came back after a few minutes and told me she will just give me a verbal warning. I thought I got lucky and went home. The next morning she called me asking if I could see her to fill out some paper work and that I was not in trouble. She said she knew about my restricted but I didn't violate it since I was driving home from school. I asked her what type but she wouldn't say she just said I need to sign something, and if I don't come in, she would find me and things would get ugly. I had been polite the entire time. I set a date and time to go and see her. immidiatly after I received that call I went to the dmv and court and got my license and restriction changed. I went in to her, but she was not there but left something behind for another college cop**************it was a summons/weren't of arrest. I was shocked. I don't think it is legal for her to issue me a ticket after she let me off. The cop that handed me the summons said that she said the "dmv system was down" yea right....She didn't even sign the summons ....
I'm scared ****less.
I know va is harsh on driving on suspended, but do I have a chance at all not be found guilty? Isn't her not telling me why I need to come in and threatening me that things would get ugly entrapment?

Please help, I'm freaking out!!

FlyingRon

Nothing here remotely resembles entrapment.
I presume you are still on a suspended sentence/probation. You're dependent on how pissed off the judge is about your behavior. I'd seriously recommend a lawyer familiar with the particular judge in question.

Ayb5

No my restricted is valid. I changed everything and my restriction before I went to thee police station. I thought entrapment is something that a cop makes you do that you normally wouldn't. In this case telling me I ned to come in because if I don't she will find me and things will get ugly.

FlyingRon

No, that's not entrapment. Her suggestion that you came down wasn't what made you commit the crime (at least not the one they already had you on). Police are allowed to request or even be sneaky to get criminals to turn themselves in.

Even if they told you to come over and cited you for showing up there behind the wheel, it wouldn't necessarily be entrapment.

davew128

No my restricted is valid. I changed everything and my restriction before I went to thee police station. I thought entrapment is something that a cop makes you do that you normally wouldn't. In this case telling me I ned to come in because if I don't she will find me and things will get ugly.
Your response SHOULD HAVE BEEN to indicate that you will either get a ride or drive there to see them within the time confines of your license restriction. Or do nothing at all.

Ayb5

I just took a closer look at the warrant, the officer who pulled me over did not sign it. Her name is printed on it but no signature. The cop who I met at the station who basically just handed me the warrent and asked me to sign it signed it. Does that help me at all? It the fact that I got everything taken care of after I received the verbal warning?
I really can not afford to loose this one. Joining the military after college and I cannot have anything else on my record, otherwise it may prevent me from receiving my clearance for the job I want to get in the army.

fraudwatch

....never went to the dmv to activate my restricted license....
I drove to school on my suspended/restricted license....
You drove on your suspended license, not on a /restricted license, because as you stated, you never activated your privilege to drive on a restricted license.

...I went to the dmv and court and got my license and restriction changed....
Restriction changed? Do you mean activated?
This was after the fact anyway, so it's irrelevant. You were driving on a suspended license.

...do I have a chance at all not be found guilty?
You really need to hire a lawyer. That is your best chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">