• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with a suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misssandra76

California (only U.S. law)?

I have 2 DUI's, 1 will be off my record in March 09. I got my second in Nov 08. I was just recently pulled over for an unlawful U-turn and given a ticket. I was driving with a suspended license. I never drive since y license was suspended but I missed my train to work and I figured one time wouldn't hurt (big mistake). I don't know if i should I hire and attorney. I cannot do jail time becasue I can lose my job. Can anyone give some advice please. I only drove to avoid missing an important meeting at work. I feel like a complete fool for taking this risk. PLease Help:confused:

RRevak

Hopefully one of the seniors will post regarding the possibility of jail time with this situation, as i'm not entirely certain to answer since there are DUI's on your record. If you were just driving with the suspended license then you will most likely not see jail time. Just a very hefty fine and probably an extension of your suspension. A judge or any other legal figure isnt going to care what your reasons were for driving with a suspended license. If your license is suspended then that means you are not legally allowed to drive a motor vehicle period...for ANY reason. They wont care if you were driving your G'Ma Tootie to the hospital for Dialysis, if your license is suspended then you would still be driving illegally. IMO, if you already have two DUI's shouldnt you already have an attorney?

Last edited:

garrula lingua

If you are charged with 14601.2, then it's a mandatory 10 days county jail, along with a fine and, usually, probation and sometimes an ignition interlock device.

If it's your second time 14601.2, it's a 30 day mandatory jail sentence.

If you were charged with 14601.1, then it's just a fine and probation. However, if the Prosecutor realizes the suspension is from a DUI, s/he can change the charge to the appropriate (and harsher) 14601.2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">