• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving on suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concernedgirlfr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

What do the odds look like for someone getting charged for the 4th time in the state of virginia driving on suspended license and havent had a license since 01? This person also has DUI and DWI

FlyingRon

I suspect jail time is coming. What court are you going to appear in? Was the suspension a result of the DUI?

concernedgirlfr

south boston, va is where the ticket was received, I am not sure what court
it actually isnt me, but a friend and I think that the suspension was for dui and unpaid tickets on both these matters.

but when i was checking it seems that his license hve been suspended for sometime more than 5 years. Will he be able to ever obtain another license

.... Will he be able to ever obtain another license?
I don't know all the facts here, but if the license was off of the revoketion period and it was just a matter of paying the rest of the fines and reinstatement fees; with enough $$ dumped into the right lawyer, it may never get past the DA. If it does go in front of a Judge and you freind has made the mistake of not getting the license restored, then it won't matter much. Cause what good is a license when you are locked up on the inside anyway. :(:(:(
Basically, the Judge isn't goimg to listen to any type of excuse unless they were rushing someone to the hospital because they were bleeding to death.
Advise your freind to get it back before showing up. :cool:

concernedgirlfr

well he ws just driving to his moms house, he had been paying on the tickets he has licenses suspended in NC and VA, he has paid off the NC, but i think the VA is after he pays the tickets he has to go ask the judge for his license, I didnt understand that but I think they are suspended for 6 more months after paying the tickets.

He just got the ticket a couple of weeks ago, is the date the policeman gave him his court date or will he have another court date after that???

Thanks alot for your thoughts I am just wondering what he is looking at he seems upset about it, but he shouldnt have been driving, he was speeding also, that is why he was pulled over.

FlyingRon

He's well advised to get a lawyer. Driving while suspended because you were late on a ticket or something is bad enough. A DUI-based suspension is going to not be taken lightly. If he waives right to counsel and pleads guilty he can probably deal with it in one appearance, although a 60 day sentence suspended down to 4-8 days is not unheard of. If he shows up with a lawyer or takes the judges advice to get one, the case is may be rescheduled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">