• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with a suspended license after dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaygarciavee

About 2 months ago, I was pulled over for driving someone else's vehicle that had an expired registration. I shouldn't have been driving since I had a suspended driver license but at that time I was desperate and did not wanna be late to work. Bad choice!

I had a suspended license due to a 4 year old DUI. I had payed off all fines but failed to complete my alcohol program until recently. I completed my program and I am now a licensed driver. Today was my court date for driving with a suspended license. It did not go as expected. First off, I will like to admit that although I have a dui I do not know much about the california court system. I am aware driving with a suspended license is a very serious criminal offense but I didn't know what to expect at court. I didn't get assigned a public defender like i did for my dui. The judge asked me for the vehicle I was driving (at that time of citation) registration. I did not have it being that it wasn't my vehicle.. He said it didn't matter I still needed the registration. He offered me a plea deal which I did not understand and when I tried to explain to him that I didn't understand what he had just said he quickly shut me up and said take the plea or plea not guilty. He was very rude!! And spoke quick. He gave me no time to speak. So not knowing what I would plea guilty to, I plead not guilty. So now I have a trial court date. I really don't know what to expect. I'm very nervous to say the less. After leaving court and processing what had just happened.. I believe the plea deal was a fine and work release which I would have gladly agreed to just to take care of this situation! but the judge literally talked to me for about 45 seconds. I didn't have time to process everything :( what should I do? What should I expect? Help please

quincy

About 2 months ago, I was pulled over for driving someone else's vehicle that had an expired registration. I shouldn't have been driving since I had a suspended driver license but at that time I was desperate and did not wanna be late to work. Bad choice!

I had a suspended license due to a 4 year old DUI. I had payed off all fines but failed to complete my alcohol program until recently. ... I plead not guilty. So now I have a trial court date. I really don't know what to expect. I'm very nervous to say the less. After leaving court and processing what had just happened.. I believe the plea deal was a fine and work release which I would have gladly agreed to just to take care of this situation! but the judge literally talked to me for about 45 seconds. I didn't have time to process everything :( what should I do? What should I expect? Help please
What should you do? You should use the time between now and your next court date to locate an attorney to assist you.

It is not uncommon to be confused and nervous before a judge. It is also not uncommon for someone without an attorney to plead guilty to an offense just to get everything over with, without fully understanding the consequences of doing so.

What should you expect? You should expect the worst if you go into court again without a lawyer. You have apparently made more than one bad choice in the past. I would not make going without a lawyer another one.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Agree with Quincy.

You're obviously not equipped to handle this by yourself.

You could be facing another license suspension.

Get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">