• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving while suspended while revoked for a DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtClerk

Your boyfriend obviously doesn't mind strip searches and being in nasty, smelly jail cells. If he doesn't want to do house arrest and would prefer to do jail time, then they'll likely honor his request. It's his life, he's a big boy, let him do what he pleases with it. It effects you none.

OHRoadwarrior

Ask your boyfriend. He is the one who wants the free ride at public expense. Tell him to get a job and buy him a jar of Vaseline for Xmas.

justalayman

you seem to not be bothered by the fact (at least as you claim), he was no longer under an order of revocation for the DUI. Once that period has run, his charge would simply be driving without a valid operators license, not driving while revoked. Either he still has an open case for some reason (maybe failure to pay fines?) or he was not charged properly.

as to paying for house arrest: most states I know of do charge a fee. It varies but if there is a GPS anklet involved, it can get pretty costly.

Some states also charge for being in jail as well. He might want to check into that before he refuses house arrest.

tranquility

I agree with justalayman. But, I only write to say again, I am appalled at OHRoadwarrior's "joke". Prison rape should not be accepted by society, nor should it be joked about. It is evil. And, if society accepts it, society is evil as well. The punishment for one's crimes is spelled out by the legislature. Additional "punishment" is not acceptable, nor should it be accepted. STOP JOKING ABOUT IT. It's just not funny. Every time there is a joke, we are one step away from civility and one step closer to barbarity.

I admit to having joked about it in the past and don't judge who do now. I only say, stop it. I feel it is rather like drunk driving. When I was a lad, people could be at a party and joke about how they used the curb to guide them home. Everyone would laugh. Today, you make the same joke about not being sober enough to stay within the lane and people will sniff, turn and think poorly about the person making a joke. Let's do the same thing with anal rape, shall we?

FlyingRon

No, I'm sorry I don't believe (other than being against the implied rape comments0. Just because he is eligible for reinstatement doesn't mean he's not still revoked until he bothers to jump through the rest of the hoops to get it reinstated.

OHRoadwarrior

I agree with justalayman. But, I only write to say again, I am appalled at OHRoadwarrior's "joke". Prison rape should not be accepted by society, nor should it be joked about. It is evil. And, if society accepts it, society is evil as well. The punishment for one's crimes is spelled out by the legislature. Additional "punishment" is not acceptable, nor should it be accepted. STOP JOKING ABOUT IT. It's just not funny. Every time there is a joke, we are one step away from civility and one step closer to barbarity.

I admit to having joked about it in the past and don't judge who do now. I only say, stop it. I feel it is rather like drunk driving. When I was a lad, people could be at a party and joke about how they used the curb to guide them home. Everyone would laugh. Today, you make the same joke about not being sober enough to stay within the lane and people will sniff, turn and think poorly about the person making a joke. Let's do the same thing with anal rape, shall we?
If you find that horrifying, I can imagine what your response is, to all things that happen every day. Don't become a police officer. I don't create the insanity, I just live in it. It is her boyfriend who expects everyone else to pay for his action. He needs to take a little personal responsibility. If he had a long time ago, this situation would not have occurred.

If you find that horrifying, I can imagine what your response is, to all things that happen every day. Don't become a police officer. I don't create the insanity, I just live in it. It is her boyfriend who expects everyone else to pay for his action. He needs to take a little personal responsibility. If he had a long time ago, this situation would not have occurred.
The point is that prison rape is not something to yuk-yuk about. Cops and prison guards are complicit in it, of course.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Whether a license is suspended or revoked...

If one does nothing at the end of the suspension or revocation period then the license will STILL be suspended or revoked. Just because he is eligible to have the suspension or revocation lifted doesn't mean it happened.

A revocation is usually worse since it is as if the individual was not licensed to begin with and they have to take a written test, road test, etc. in order to get their license back.

OHRoadwarrior

The point is that prison rape is not something to yuk-yuk about. Cops and prison guards are complicit in it, of course.
The point is I never said anything about rape. There is much quid pro quo male on male and female on female sex, in prisons. tranquility is evidently so appalled at the idea these things occur even in the real world, the jump to rape was immediately projected to garner support for her position. You also appear to be sexually insecure and jumped on the same band wagon. Please show me anywhere in my post I advocated rape.

dave33

On our way from NJ to WV i got tired of driving so i let my boyfriend drive who hasnt had a license in 11 years and the reason for it is he got a dui , lost his license, and never got it back but can if he wanted to. We got pulled over and he got charged with driving without a license while revoked for a DUI. He assigned a public defender . The public defender wants to get him house arrest time but my boyfriend says that here in WV you have to pay for house arrest because its a privelage and that he is just going to ask for jail time. Being real anxious about whether he is going to go to jail or not I really want to know what the probability of that this is going to happen. The public defender when we call says that hed really like for house arrest, when my bf says he doesnt want it the public defender says hes going to try to get it. downgraded to just driving while suspended . How likely is it that this is could be what happens?
In some states the reason for the suspension is very important. Many times driving on a suspended because of failure to pay a ticket will result in a fine. On the other hand driving on a suspended because of a d.u.i. is mandatory jailtime. You need to ask your p.d. which category (if any) your boyfriend fits in. goodluck.

tranquility

I was a police officer and I am aware of the things that happen every day. You just joke about the insanity. Once again, my point is that when we joke about it in a yuk-yuk we tend to minimize the impact on us. That's why those who are often involved with difficult things joke about them, to make the horror affect them less so they can lead normal lives. Society as a whole should not joke about it or there will not be a cognitive dissonance that pushes us towards changing these unacceptable conditions.

The point is I never said anything about rape.
I believe a polite person would call this disingenuous. Compare and contrast this statement with:
Tell him to get a job and buy him a jar of Vaseline for Xmas.
Oh, I see. Because a person is in jail for a short time they will turn to homosexual behavior. My mistake.

commentator

The thing that concerns me is that boyfriend doesn't have a job, obviously, if he is ready to do jail time because he thinks it'll be cheaper than community corrections. He's probably right, given he has all this free time. Those programs, especially the ankle bracelet things are pretty expensive most of the time because they are done by private contracting agencies. But that he's not bothered, in eleven years, to take the steps necessary to get his license reinstated is quite telling. It is costly, and requires proof of insurance, and jumping through several hoops, and he's elected to just not deal with it, taking the gamble he'd never be caught. Knowing this about him, I'd guess he's probably pretty familiar with the whole scene, knows he can do the time and isn't overly worried about the middle class preconceptions some of us have about jail time.

Incidentally, I agree wholeheartedly with everything that tranquility says about joking about anal rape in corrections facilities. It's not funny, and people who are incarcerated do not "deserve" this sort of punishment as part of their sentence. Not long ago, there was a broken windowpane in a correctional building on the public road near here. Several people wrote letters and called the local tv stations asking why the county didn't fix the broken windowpane. Then there were some people who said, "Why should they fix it? Let those beasts suffer with the cold! They don't DESERVE a warm facility!" Idiotic, of course, because the cost of having the damaged window repaired was much less than the cost of utilities and the idea that the inmates should suffer and have to endure inhumane and abusive treatment from each other and the guards should have gone out of fashion years ago, along with torture and public hanging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">