• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drunk in Public

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chdav

What is the name of your state? California

I had a previous misdemeanor charge for possesion of marijuana, the judge took my license for a year and told me that I was on "court probation". Recently within the one-year period, I was given a drunk in public ticket and given a court date as well. I was wondering, what would be the worst case scenario in my case. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to get legal representation, thanks for your input.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The worst case is that they find you in violation of your probation. If you had a suspended sentence for the first charge they may restore it.

CdwJava

The possession of marijuana charge has no custody time attached so it shouldn't be any big thing for a violation. The new charge for public intoxication (PC 647(f)) holds a 6 month max. confinement in county jail and/or $1,000 fine. Typically these matters are settled by arrest and no further proceeding is sought. But, in the event that it is, I would suspect the fine and probation ... possibly to include no alcohol stipulations in the probation and maybe counseling.

- Carl

outonbail

The possession of marijuana charge has no custody time attached so it shouldn't be any big thing for a violation. The new charge for public intoxication (PC 647(f)) holds a 6 month max. confinement in county jail and/or $1,000 fine. Typically these matters are settled by arrest and no further proceeding is sought. But, in the event that it is, I would suspect the fine and probation ... possibly to include no alcohol stipulations in the probation and maybe counseling.

- Carl
They may also throw in some community service for good measure.

chdav

So would it be a good idea for me to seek legal counsel to avoid the jail time? Or are the probabilities for even getting the jail time small enough for me to not need an attorney.

moburkes

So would it be a good idea for me to seek legal counsel to avoid the jail time? Or are the probabilities for even getting the jail time small enough for me to not need an attorney.
When you go to interview the attorneys, they will be able to tell you your chances, and what they charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">