• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dui that is 25 years old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jp230

What is the name of your state? FL
back in 1983 I was charged with a dui,seeing I had no money,I left and move to another state..I now am disabled and want to go live there again,do you have any advice in what I should or should not do????I refused the breath test..also this would be number two..I had a dui before that and did all that was required of me..

thanks

I don't believe that there is any statute of limitations. If you want to get straight with the courts, I think you'd be best to find a lawyer and explain your situation, but I think one way or another you still have to face the charges.

garrula lingua

Do you remember the court where the case was being prosecuted ??

Go to court, in your wheelchair.
Turn yourself in.
The Judge will likely recall and quash the warrant, and will advise you of what, if anything, you have to do on the case (you do have a clean record since that case, right ?? point that out to the Judge).

Your worst problem will be Motor Vehicles if you want to drive. They get hung up on requirements, regardless of the date. Judges are, surprisingly, nice people. They see the quirks and oddities in life. Hopefully, you will get a Judge who is more interested in the 25 years of sobriety and non-offense, than the 25 yo history.

BTW, if you had not yet pled guilty or been convicted by Judge or jury, then the Prosecutor will likely not object to a dismissal or light treatment - it would be hard (not impossible) to try you for this case now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">