• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorielee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My Father got pulled over for a DUI in Ohio on 7-31-03 he moved to Florida and Ohio did take his License and have a bench warrant out on him. I have been trying to get him to turn himself in but he is afraid of what outcome will be. My question is. Is there a statute of Limitations in Ohio on situations like these? I know he needs to turn himself in and all but he seems to think he can wait it out.

FlyingRon

Statute of limitations doesn't apply AFTER the charges are filed and it doesn't run while the criminal is an out-of-state fugitive.

This isn't going away. While Ohio may not run down to Florida to arrest/extradite him, he's going to find it very inconvenient as time goes on.

PixieHeart

You can run....

Just looking over various posts on numerous forums, I found:

"Someone lied to you.

Warrants never go away."
Source(s):
8+ years Law Enforcement

"NO Warrants are forever**************..Statute of limitations only apply before charges are filed"

"Warrants might be dismissed, but left alone, the warrant would not expire, and statutes of limitations don't apply to warrants. In fact, warrants are issued in order to avoid statutes of limitations."

Personally, I can't imagine the quality of life for your dad if he has to continuously look over his shoulder. Try to encourage him to turn himself in...I am sure he is scared...but it will be so much better for ALL OF YOU, in the long run (no pun intended!)

Good Luck!

Pixie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">