• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dui 9 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jon1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

So 9 years ago I got a DUI (.16) in upstate NY. No one was hit, no accident etc....just a DUI. I was charged but never went to court. Without getting into specifics my life was a mess at that point and I wasn't thinking clearly to say the least. So now 9 years later I am living in Pa and just received a note from a Trooper where I got my DUI to call him. I know it is about the DUI. Can and will I be extradited? Should I call the Trooper?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

So 9 years ago I got a DUI (.16) in upstate NY. No one was hit, no accident etc....just a DUI. I was charged but never went to court. Without getting into specifics my life was a mess at that point and I wasn't thinking clearly to say the least. So now 9 years later I am living in Pa and just received a note from a Trooper where I got my DUI to call him. I know it is about the DUI. Can and will I be extradited? Should I call the Trooper?
I see no good reason for you to contact the officer. I suggest you speak with an attorney in your area prior to speaking to anyone about the DUI,.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
First of all it's a DWI in New York.

So you're saying you were arrested and never issued a ticket or brought before a judge??

ETA: I re-read your post - so you received an traffic ticket but never appeared on your court date?

Last edited:

Jon1

First of all it's a DWI in New York.

So you're saying you were arrested and never issued a ticket or brought before a judge??

ETA: I re-read your post - so you received an traffic ticket but never appeared on your court date?
Correct....arrested then never appeared for the court date. Sorry, DWI.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You failed to appear in court to answer a criminal charge. Assuming that the trooper filed all the appropriate paperwork, you have a warrant out for your arrest.

My guess is that the trooper is trying to track you down to get you to return. I don't know why that should be after so many years.

Warrants do not go away, so you take a chance anywhere you travel. You can be detained when stopped, sometimes for days, while it is determined whether the warrant is still valid and whether the originating agency will extradite you. OF course, these detentions can happen at the most inopportune times.

The best way to deal with the situation is hire a a local attorney (local to the court of record) who can handle this for you - at some point you will need to appear in court in person.

quincy

Again, though, you will NOT want to speak to the officer. If you are contacted, refer all questions to your attorney and then get an attorney.

You would probably be smart to have an attorney lined up now should you be arrested on a warrant. You might have some time in jail that prevents you from arranging for an attorney right away otherwise.

Taking care of the ticket you ignored for years is also best done through an attorney and before an arrest.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Again, though, you will NOT want to speak to the officer. If you are contacted, refer all questions to your attorney and then get an attorney.

You would probably be smart to have an attorney lined up now should you be arrested on a warrant. You might have some time in jail that prevents you from arranging for an attorney right away otherwise.

Taking care of the ticket you ignored for years is also best done through an attorney and before an arrest.
And, in this case, it's not just any ticket...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">