• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI on abstract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello, Im in NY and I was just wondering if anyone here knows how long a DUI stays on your abstract/record? I had my DUI in January 5th of 2008, followed by a conviction on April 3rd of that same year. I was under the legal limit incase that makes any difference. I went to the DMV today and it so happens that the DUI is still on my record. I asked the person there how long does it usually take for the DUI to come off the record and she said about 3 years. I was in a rush and had to get out of there, so I really didn't know who else to ask there. I know it's already been 3 years and 4 months since the conviction date which came on August 3rd of this year. I also know most insurance companies ask you if you've had a DUI in the last 3 years and 4 months which is why I mentioned this. Reason why Im so concerned is because I am interested in getting a driving job and all of the places hiring can't have a driver that has an existing DUI on record. Also I would like to put insurance in my name that I can afford. Thanks in advance.

You Are Guilty

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have got a lot more waiting to do before it drops off. 10 years is the limit for DUIs:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/abstract.htm#WHAT

The three years is only for accidents and moving violations.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have got a lot more waiting to do before it drops off. 10 years is the limit for DUIs:
NYS DMV - DMV Records

The three years is only for accidents and moving violations.
"A conviction that is alcohol-related or is for driving while impaired by drugs (for example, DWI or DWAI) remains on a driver record for exactly 10 years. If a driver is convicted of the same violation during that 10 years, the driver can receive additional penalties."

Wonderful.. Do you know if that include DUI's?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"A conviction that is alcohol-related or is for driving while impaired by drugs (for example, DWI or DWAI) remains on a driver record for exactly 10 years. If a driver is convicted of the same violation during that 10 years, the driver can receive additional penalties."

Wonderful.. Do you know if that include DUI's?
What part wasn't clear? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">