• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI=Alcoholic READ PLEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ObeyLaws

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

If you have even 1 DUI you are an alcoholic. I'm not trying to be "mean" or anything here but it is the truth whether or not you want to admit it. And I think if you are reading this forum you should take this post to heart.

One of the signs is "Do you make the wrong decision when you drink" or "Do you jeopardize the welfare of yourself or your family in any way when you drink". DUI would be that. A lot of people have a vision of an alcoholic as someone with a big red nose all sloppy or bloodshot or slurring all the time or someone who drinks "a lot". Not true. Not true at all. Actually I believe the world is FULL of "alcoholics" who don't recognize it. If you seriously want to change your life and remove alcohol from it you should visit an AA meeting. You have to be honest to yourself and admit you have an alcohol problem and are an alcoholic. Don't be scared, it's OK.

Hindsight is 20/20. I've caused myself and my family many heartaches and still have a lot to go through but I just got a 2nd dui and it was a HUGE wakeup call. I have/had a alcohol problem and didn't realize it. It causes me to make bad decisions PERIOD. My mental state is a shamble and It's going to take time for me to forgive myself and get back to "normal".

In the end, after all the legal issues are over(and they will be) you can rid yourself of any future problems alcohol may bring to you. Be it legal or family or health or whatever. I only wish the court would have ordered me to AA classes after my first DUI but they didn't and I'm not blaming them. I just wish they did because I think if you have an alcohol problem and attend an AA class you will be enlightened and realize you're just "allergic" to alcohol and need to not use it because it WILL cause you problems. Just like penicillin. Hey, I understand a lot of people can drink "responsibly". But a lot can't. Just like a lot of people aren't allergic to penecillin but a lot are.

I'm thankful I never hurt anyone in my mistakes but am feeling a big guilt regardless. I'm facing up to 93 days in jail and many more things like probation and suspensions.

READ THIS AND TAKE IT TO HEART PLEASE. Don't be in denial. You know who you are and it's not a big deal if you are that person. Many people are allergic to many things. Alcohol is just another thing.

If you can't tell I'm a wreck because of this but will get through it because I have a strong loving family and I finally found AA which, with my desire will remove alcohol from my life and I'll be happy and without alcohol related problems.

If you are young and think your might even be in risk. Go to an AA meeting even if you think might be borderline and you might not even have an alcohol problem yet. Going to an AA meeting will enlighten you.

Sorry if this sounds preechy but I gotta vent somewhere. :)

God bless. If you don't believe in God then peace be with you.

BigMistakeFl

If you work the 12 step program, truly work it and make the changes to your life, AA will work for you. People are failed by AA when they fail to live up to the personal commitment that is required by someone who really does want to change.

In my personal opinion, those who are forced into AA, by court or family or any other external means, are unfortunately those who do not stick it out and end up right back where they started. Only when the person chooses to put the plug in the jug, does he or she stand a chance at succeeding.

ObeyLaws

Yes you do have to want it. But as it states recognizing you have a problem is half the battle. The rest is hard no doubt. But from day one if you are honest you can be half way there.

My point was I think a lot of people get DUI's and think they just got busted or made a mistake when in fact it's more than that. And it's not a big deal. I would almost goes as far as to say at least 10% of the worlds population could have an alcohol problem. Maybe not but you are definitely not alone.

ObeyLaws

Actually you don't even need to have a DUI to be an alcoholic. You just need to have gotten in a car and driven while "drunk". You endangered lives of other people. Wow, I know, thats crazy. A lot more "alcoholics" out there than you thought...

Recognize. Change.

MattSCESC

Interesting point. Although in MOST cases, you are correct. I would venture to say somewhere in the 99.99% range. Occasionally you do get the select few who had bad timing. About 7 years ago, I was involved in a head on collision in the middle of an intersection in San Diego, CA. Not only did it total my car, but the guys truck flipped over, and he lost an arm. To this day, I feel NO sadness whatsoever for him losing an arm. This collision was his #4 DUI in the state of California, and #6 total. I think all states need to adopt AZ laws on DUI. I spend a decent amount of time at Lake Havasu, AZ, and I enjoy watching all of the idiots getting nailed for DUI. As you have so eloquently put it, THERE IS NO EXCUSE! I always have said, "There are two things in this world I hate... Drugs, and stupid people; the two of which go hand in hand." I might have to add drunks to that phrase somehow... I'll have to figure it out. Anyways, I totally agree with your point. The unfortunate part, is that not all drunk drivers can be caught. I wish they could, but the fact of the matter is, they can't.

FlyingRon

This isn't a legal issue. This is the Free Advice legal board not the Alcohol and morality board.

However, I have unkind things to say about those forced into AA (which borders on unconstitutionality based on the AA's scapegoating the almighty for their member's problems). Research shows, voluntarily enrolled or forced, AA has no better outcome than spontaneous remission.

If people believe they are deriving benefit from it, fine, but as a public policy thing it is a failure.

ObeyLaws

Yes this is a free advice legal forum not a rehab board. But this is the DUI section and I think if we could all push a button to remove people from drinking and driving forever(not gonna happen) and remove the necessity for this section of the forum we would all do it. What more appropriate place to mention how to keep people from getting into these dangerous problems then right where they're looking for help?

There is no compassion. "Mistakes" are "mistakes". I'm just trying to shed light on people who may have received a DUI and think they DON'T have an alcohol problem and potentially keep them from making the same "mistake" again and hurting someone unnecessarily. Until then this problem does need attention and resolution and it starts with trying to fix the people who cause it. Or more strict laws could be put into place. But I don't think it's fair for this country to advertise alcohol all over and put a sports bar on every other corner and expect 100% compliance from the population. Yes people should be responsible. Is that the question here? We expect people to be responsible all the time. C'mon. Look at the world and economy today. That's not going to happen either. Prohibition did happen. Today I wouldn't be opposed to it. Because I don't need to drink and it would drastically reduce road incidents. But is it realistic? This is a driving country and a drinking country. How do we fix this problem? Fix the people who cause it. And that is potentially everyone who drinks. I also think more advertising to not drink and drive and spreading the word could help. Although "studies" probably show that won't help. But it can't hurt. I don't know. I really am sorry for what I did but I also feel relieved I recognized I had a problem(which I never did before) and am thankful no one ever got hurt and I won't make those mistakes again.

I agree spontaneous remission may be possible. But maybe a lot of people don't "realize" they have a "problem" and once they do REALLY realize that real change is possible. Sure forced AA may not work for a lot of people. But even if it does work for some it's worth it. I for one can honestly say since I realized I had a problem and was honest with myself I feel reborn. Yes I still feel awful and ashamed for my previous actions but also feel good that I honestly know and am being honest with myself that I won't make those decision ever again.

Karma is a bitch though and I think that too...

I won't post anymore in this thread I was just hoping to show a little light on someone who might be willing to see it.

Last edited:

paguy88

If you have even 1 DUI you are an alcoholic.
that is 100% NOT true

stop spread untruths

1. you dont need to have a DUI to be a alcoholic

2. stats in PA my state show you have a near 50/50 shot of being a alcohilic if you have a dui.

The more accurate statement is you are atleast a HARMFUL drinker... it's a clinical definition.... social harmful and alcoholic. 3 types of drinkers

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">