• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI from another state question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crudehauler37

I got a dui in South Dakota. I was not convicted of the charge. Instead I was handed a suspended imposition of sentence, which is basically like a defered sentence but a little bit better. My question is, since I have a Kansas license and I'm not being convicted, will the state of Kansas ever find out? The reason I ask is because I have a CDL and I'm unsure if I'm going to lose it or not. My lawyer in South Dakota had another client that was from Iowa, got a suspended imposition of sentence for his dui in South Dakota, and he never lost his cdl because Iowa never found out. Thanks for your feedback

Just Blue

I got a dui in South Dakota. I was not convicted of the charge. Instead I was handed a suspended imposition of sentence, which is basically like a defered sentence but a little bit better. My question is, since I have a Kansas license and I'm not being convicted, will the state of Kansas ever find out? The reason I ask is because I have a CDL and I'm unsure if I'm going to lose it or not. My lawyer in South Dakota had another client that was from Iowa, got a suspended imposition of sentence for his dui in South Dakota, and he never lost his cdl because Iowa never found out. Thanks for your feedback
Yes...They will find out.

quincy

I agree with Blue Meanie. I am afraid the odds are against you that Kansas will not find out you are on probation for a DUI. It is always possible but I do not think it probable.

Here is a link to South Dakota's Code 23A-27-13, which describes what your order of suspended imposition of sentence means:

http://legis.sd.gov/Statutes/Codified_Laws/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type=Statute&Statute=23A-27-13

Until you have satisfied all of the terms of your probation, sentencing on your DUI is only suspended. If you violate any of the terms of your probation, the court can enter your judgment of guilt.

Perhaps you will be as fortunate as your attorney's other client. Good luck.

Crudehauler37

Well, I'll just have to hope for the best and continue at my job until I receive notice from Kansas that my cdl has been revoked. Fingers crossed.....

quincy

Well, I'll just have to hope for the best and continue at my job until I receive notice from Kansas that my cdl has been revoked. Fingers crossed.....
I'll hope that you are able to meet all terms of your probation to the satisfaction of the court and, especially, I'll hope that your DUI has taught you never to drive under the influence again.

Good luck, Crudehauler37. Stay safe on the roads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">