• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI on a bicycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paguy88

A bicycle DUI holds a greater potential for damage than a pedestrian by virtue of their speed and the likelihood of greater injury if they crash. And, yes, I have been present for a fatal bicycle DUI crash ... guy bounced his wheel off the curb, and then did a header onto the pavement cracking his skull. He lived for a couple of days but eventually died.

It may seem absurd to you, but I'd stand a greater chance of avoiding injury from an approaching drunk staggering on foot than an approaching bicyclist.
I am sorry Carl, I do respect you opinion and experance.
however, I don't need laws for ever little possiblity of what could happen..

I am sure someone does becasue they are drunk on a bike but I would guess the death/injuries numbers are not even close to the DUI stats for cars each year.

I am just not into the fact state law makers switch some wording and next thing you know you can get a dui on a bike or wheelchair.

that my opinion never the less the op has an issue and needs a lawyer.

cyjeff

I am just impressed that anyone could talk a girl into going back to their room on the handlebars of their bike.

CdwJava

I am sorry Carl, I do respect you opinion and experance.
however, I don't need laws for ever little possiblity of what could happen..

I am sure someone does becasue they are drunk on a bike but I would guess the death/injuries numbers are not even close to the DUI stats for cars each year.
Nope. And the number of people killed by errant bullets coming down from the sky are negligible as well, but even that is a crime - negligent discharge of a firearm.

In my state the bicycle DUI does not hold nearly the same penalty as a motor vehicle DUI. It is a separate offense.

- Carl

paguy88

Nope. And the number of people killed by errant bullets coming down from the sky are negligible as well, but even that is a crime - negligent discharge of a firearm.

In my state the bicycle DUI does not hold nearly the same penalty as a motor vehicle DUI. It is a separate offense.

- Carl

IMO apples and oranges to compair a Gun and Bike.

A gun is a deadly weapon, A Bike is not.

Sorry I just don't agree.

CdwJava

IMO apples and oranges to compair a Gun and Bike.

A gun is a deadly weapon, A Bike is not.

Sorry I just don't agree.
Suit yourself. But, it doesn't change the nature of the law. In CO apparently the two are charged under identical sections ... in my state they are not. Your state might be different yet again.

The issue is one of negligence and the potential impact of that negligent act - hence the point of the firearm discharge analogy. The potential consequences of an impaired bicycle rider are much greater than that of a pedestrian, but less than those of the operator of a motor vehicle. But, best yet is not to operate anything while impaired.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">