• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI case settled: Fine, Education Classes, + PROBATION?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alabaster441

Ohio

Ok - my attorney was able to work a deal with the prosecutor to reduce a high tier OVI to a regular OVI.

15 days in jail suspended.

Fine+Costs
3 day alcohol program

Probation 1 year:
Requires me to finish the 3 day class
No alcohol
Stay away from all bars
No driving

I'm a college kid - I'm going to drink and I would like to go to the bar too.

Say I'm at the bar a couple times a week - how would I get caught for a probation violation? From what I've picked up so far I'd pretty much have to be involved in a fight or doing something really stupid.

For some reason a cop DOES talk to me and I am found in violation of my probation - what's the worst that could happen to me?

Thanks

FlyingRon

15 days in jail suspended.
You violate probation like you're anticipating, you can almost guarantee this to be "unsuspended"

If your probation is revoked you could see up to the full 180 days that you were subject to.
Your license suspension could be increased to 3 years.
It will cost you more money as well.

Is there some reason you want to be psychopathically stupid?

cyjeff

Violating probation is galactically stupid.

This is on par with licking a live outlet or pressing your head against the stove top to see if it is really on.

You want this charge to be EXPUNGED at some point so that all of your future employers don't see what a dumb ass you were. Most jobs will run a background check. Most jobs will put you at the bottom of the list with a criminal record. Most jobs will round file your resume for a charge of such obvious stupidity.

Especially if you decided that the laws really didn't apply to you and you were going to break them anyway.

And a violation of the probation will keep you from getting it removed.

Why would you even come here and state that you really have no intention of following probation?

Did you think we would tell you it was okay?

Maybe you really are a dumb ass.

Jim_bo

Dude... if you look at a history of my posts, you'll see that I am normally the one who always wants to help a person look for a defense for anything they are charged with. I believe there is ALWAYS a defense (some are just not as good as others). However, you can't seriously be coming here asking people on this board to condone you knowingly violating probation?!?! That is just dumb.

alabaster441

Driving suspension - I understand.
Fines + cost - I understand.

If the probation rules stated that I needed to avoid any alcohol related offense, that would be perfectly acceptable.

However, Requiring me to avoid alcohol and stay away from bars? Bull****.

My counselor determined that I was not an alcohol abuser during my initial assessment.

alabaster441

As for the 'elitist prick' attitudes that those who replied are demonstrating:

What would you have done if someone would have said you were not allowed to consume alcohol your senior year of college?

ERAUPIKE

What would you have done if someone would have said you were not allowed to consume alcohol your senior year of college?
I would have thanked them for the chance to not spend two weeks in jail. When I was in college I had a friend just like you. He ended up with three DUI's and is now struggling to find any type of work. You will be in the same boat if you continue to go down the path you are on. Time to grow up son.

Jim_bo

If the probation rules stated that I needed to avoid any alcohol related offense, that would be perfectly acceptable.

My counselor determined that I was not an alcohol abuser during my initial assessment.
1. I consumed NO alcohol during my senior year of college.

2. YOU AGREED TO THE DEAL!!! You didn't have to accept the terms. You could have negotiated.... but you didn't. You agreed. That's like buying a sandwich, eating it, and then deciding you didn't really want it, so you aren't going to pay for it.

cyjeff

A better question, dumb ass, is a beer worth staying out of jail.

You seem to think that you should be able to do what you want without penalty.

Here is what you do. Be a man, go to court and tell the judge that you are going to be drinking anyway.

Be a man... not a whiney little boy that doesn't want to sit in the corner when he has been punished.

cyjeff

You are willing to risk prison so that you can drink.

That is almost the DEFINITION of a drinking problem.

Jim_bo

A better question, dumb ass, is a beer worth staying out of jail.

You seem to think that you should be able to do what you want without penalty.

Here is what you do. Be a man, go to court and tell the judge that you are going to be drinking anyway.

Be a man... not a whiney little boy that doesn't want to sit in the corner when he has been punished.

Wow... that's harsh!!

alabaster441

I was NOT made aware of the terms of probation before accepting.

I had an attorney that told me this:
Fine
Alcohol education
License suspension

This is what I agreed to.

Then after a probation officer consults me.

Go back to college your college years. How many of you couldn't talk to girls without a drink or two? Oh. None of you. Right? I'm sure you were all just perfect

swrdmbo

You may want to rethink your plan. I live in Ohio also, and in our town the police ROUTINELY have sting operations where they not ONLY go to the bars to see if any of the parolees are out there, they also check up on them at home, and if you have been drinking you are screwed.

I am not kidding.

If you are at Ohio State they have vice undercover cops whose full time jobs are to bust underage drinkers and parole violators.

You will be taking a heck of a chance...and if you are caught you will be sorry.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail so that you can drink tells me you definitely have a problem with alcohol.It leads me to believe you lied to the alcohol assessor...no big stretch...you lied to the court.

I also do not believe you were not told about the probation.More than likely you were not listening, or paying attention.Seems to be a common theme.

You already got a break when they reduced the higher tiered OVI to a regular one. What was you BAC I wonder?

FlyingRon

Go back to college your college years. How many of you couldn't talk to girls without a drink or two? Oh. None of you. Right? I'm sure you were all just perfect
I'm not surprised the probation terms surprised you. You thought probation was some sort of dodge like you got every other time you got in trouble as a child. Well it's not. DUI is a CRIME. YOU are a criminal.

You are just digging yourself deeper here. If you can't operate socially without being intoxicated, you have bigger issues than probation. Why not head over to the campus counselling office and tell them that you are in dire need of help with your alcohol problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">