• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Charge - vehichle stopped/not running

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OnlyOneVoice

I have a question with regard to this.

I know specifically of an instance where a man had driven to a friends house. He was so intoxicated when he got there he could barely stand up.

They called the police and the officer refused to arrest the man because he didn't see him "drive drunk". The guy had possession of his keys and was preparing to get in the car when the officer drove up. They did tell him he couldn't get in the car and drive away.

Is it just Texas that has such stupid police or what???

They could have easily gotten him on a public intox charge but they chose to walk away.

G

GKris

Being one of those stupid police I guess I can tell you, every DA I have ever run into will not take a DWI case unless someone can put the guy behind the wheel. Someone as in a wtiness who is willing to go to court. They prefer an officer because our lovely civilian population just cant seem to find the courthouse 3 or 4 times a year for the 2 years it may take to go to trial. They are a big help on the scene but seldom actually go through with the entire process - which dismisses the case. This also takes 3-5 hours per report, booking, impound to do a DWI, thanks to wonderful defense attorneys. So, there could be reason why the stupid cop didn't arrest. The reason they were not arrested for PI is also very simple, if a call for a DWI turns into a PI arrest MADD gets ...mad. They monitor stuff like that and then the officer is wrong again. BUT - if an attitude is present, you can guaruntee a free ride regardless of the ramifications. Did you ask the officer why or did you just assume he was stupid? Did you call the station and give your name to be a witness? Law Enforcement is everyon's business and responsibility.

O

OnlyOneVoice

GKris:

My profoundest apologies for offending you. I truly do have a huge amount of respect for most law enforcement officers.

It just seems since I moved from the city (Houston) to the country (backwater, sticks, USA) that the officers here in dirtwater country don't meet the high professional standard I'm use to when it comes to police officers.

The slam was certainly not meant to include all officers.

Again, my apologies.

G

GKris

No appologies needed, stupid people are born every day, some wear uniforms. Those were a few very realistic reasons for what could have taken place, since you mentioned it was a small town - there were probably a dozen more. Small towns man their own jails, there is nothing worse than having a drunk in your jail believe me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">