• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI in Connecticut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaVeN3rD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

This is my first attempt with a forum. I hope I'm not asking this in the wrong place. I ask this question because the anticipation is killing me. I live in Connecticut and I got a DUI in August and now I'm in the process of trying to get my license back from dmv. I have the IID installed into my vehicle and sent dmv all payments. They say wait 10 business days for license restoration. I personally brought all my payments and paper work to Wethersfield dmv, and put it in their drop off box so the could receive it quicker on November 24th. I wonder, if anyone has had experience with this, if it really takes 10 days? Or does it take longer? Also I'm aware that I'm supposed to have an IID in every vehicle I own but I was told by my lawyer and probation officer that it's fine to have it in only the one I'm going to drive. I didn't put it in my convertible because it's winter and the thing leaks like crazy and its never been driven in the snow, I don't want it to start falling apart with rust, and I can do without driving it for 1 year. I ask if anyone was ever denied their restoration because of not having the IID in both vehicles? Thanks for any replies I really appreciate it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

This is my first attempt with a forum. I hope I'm not asking this in the wrong place. I ask this question because the anticipation is killing me. I live in Connecticut and I got a DUI in August and now I'm in the process of trying to get my license back from dmv. I have the IID installed into my vehicle and sent dmv all payments. They say wait 10 business days for license restoration. I personally brought all my payments and paper work to Wethersfield dmv, and put it in their drop off box so the could receive it quicker on November 24th. I wonder, if anyone has had experience with this, if it really takes 10 days? Or does it take longer? Also I'm aware that I'm supposed to have an IID in every vehicle I own but I was told by my lawyer and probation officer that it's fine to have it in only the one I'm going to drive. I didn't put it in my convertible because it's winter and the thing leaks like crazy and its never been driven in the snow, I don't want it to start falling apart with rust, and I can do without driving it for 1 year. I ask if anyone was ever denied their restoration because of not having the IID in both vehicles? Thanks for any replies I really appreciate it.
I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you if you'll be granted an exception to the law. Why don't you ask the DMV?

justalayman

Just a thought but if they have an issue with you not having the device in the convertible you might inquire that if you cancel the registration and put it in a storage facility that it may be excused from requiring the device.

I know people that own 10-20-30 cars. I cannot imagine a state would require they all be fitted with the device if they can prove they are not street worthy or not able to be driven on the roads for whatever reason.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So then you went to trial and lost. In cases like that the court may order the interlock be used for more than the minimum 6 months.

RaVeN3rD

So then you went to trial and lost. In cases like that the court may order the interlock be used for more than the minimum 6 months.
I know that. I have to have it for a year. The question is if dmv is going to reject my application for my license renewal if I only put it in the one vehicle I plan on driving?

quincy

... I got a DUI in August and now I'm in the process of trying to get my license back from dmv. I have the IID installed into my vehicle and sent dmv all payments. They say wait 10 business days for license restoration. ... I wonder, if anyone has had experience with this, if it really takes 10 days? Or does it take longer? ...

... Also I'm aware that I'm supposed to have an IID in every vehicle I own but I was told by my lawyer and probation officer that it's fine to have it in only the one I'm going to drive ... I ask if anyone was ever denied their restoration because of not having the IID in both vehicles? ...
When you filled out the Ignition Interlock Device application, you had to list on your application the vehicle or vehicles that would be equipped with the interlock device. Vehicles listed on the application will be recorded with the State DMV. Your restricted driver license will be issued after the installation of the IID on the listed car(s) and you must drive only the vehicle(s) listed with the DMV.

The link to the Connecticut's DMV: Ignition Interlock Device Program - http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=813&q=309844 - has an "Overview of IID Program" where it says, "DMV records will indicate that an IID must be installed in each vehicle(s) owned or operated by you ..."

The DMV bolded in their statement the words "must be installed." The DMV probably should have also bolded the word "or" for clarification purposes. There is a legal difference between the words "and" and "or," with "and" meaning both and "or" meaning one or the other. I agree with both the attorney you spoke to and the probation officer that having only one car listed with the DMV and equipped with the IID should be okay, as long as that is the only vehicle you drive.

You can use the link provided above for DMV contact information. As others have recommended, you can call the DMV on Monday. Holiday hours are given in the link and you can ask the DMV if or how the 10-day waiting period for license restoration will be affected by the holiday.

The link above also has another link you can click on that gives you the violations and penalties for failing to comply with any of the terms of the IID program. You might want to look those over so you become familiar with them.

Good luck.

Last edited:

RaVeN3rD

Update

So ended up contacting dmv December 23rd and asked why it was taking so long. They told me my paper work was no where to be found and that I had to send it again. On December 24th the check cleared, they must of found it. Then on New Year's Eve I received the letter that I could start driving again. So Quincy you were right, I didn't need to have the Iid installed on both vehicles, only the one I'm going to drive for the year. Thanks for reassuring me in that.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
DMV is the entity you should be getting reassurance from. They (especially in CT) make mistakes all the time. Just because they processed everything doesn't necessarily mean you're in the clear.

quincy

So ended up contacting dmv December 23rd and asked why it was taking so long. They told me my paper work was no where to be found and that I had to send it again. On December 24th the check cleared, they must of found it. Then on New Year's Eve I received the letter that I could start driving again. So Quincy you were right, I didn't need to have the Iid installed on both vehicles, only the one I'm going to drive for the year. Thanks for reassuring me in that.
It is good to know that you contacted the DMV and you will soon be driving again. Just be sure to restrict yourself to the vehicle registered with the DMV. You do not want to lose the license you have just regained by violating the terms of the IID program.

Drive safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">