• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI and Contributing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Apparent Drunk

What is the name of your state? Arizona, Cochise County

I was sitting outside of the house I was staying at and went out to my truck with a lady friend. We are just sitting out there and a cop pulls up behind us, shines his floodlight at us and comes to my door. I put the keys in so I could put down the window, then I took the keys out and set them in the passenger seat. I'm 18 and the girl I was with was 17, both of us had been drinking. It was at 2:30 in the morning so he arrested me for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, she was out past curfew. He breathalized me and it didn't work so he took me to the station and did it again. I blew a .097 and he charged me with underage influence while control of vehicle (dui). What is the best course of action for this? I guess the most frustrating part is getting a dui whilst your not driving, and didn't even have any intent to. Thanks.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Arizona, Cochise County

I was sitting outside of the house I was staying at and went out to my truck with a lady friend. We are just sitting out there and a cop pulls up behind us, shines his floodlight at us and comes to my door. I put the keys in so I could put down the window, then I took the keys out and set them in the passenger seat. I'm 18 and the girl I was with was 17, both of us had been drinking. It was at 2:30 in the morning so he arrested me for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, she was out past curfew. He breathalized me and it didn't work so he took me to the station and did it again. I blew a .097 and he charged me with underage influence while control of vehicle (dui). What is the best course of action for this? I guess the most frustrating part is getting a dui whilst your not driving, and didn't even have any intent to. Thanks.
You need an attorney.

Apparent Drunk

Is there a good chance the attorney could get me off? I don't think I can afford an attorney and I definately don't want to break my bank on one if there isn't really any chance he could help me out. I'd be willing to plead guilty on the contributing I just want to get rid of the DUI.

djay

why plead guilty?

Get a good attorney dude! If you really mean what you say, you are not guilty of anything...!!

Apparent Drunk

I went down and talked to a lawyer and he said that the best thing I can hope for is the plead not guilty, then hope the county prosecuter drops down my charge to underage consumption. The contributing he said is what they used just to get me down to the station so they will probably drop that. He said that he would charge 3500 to defend me which I definately don't have the money for, so I guess this is my best route?

Just Blue

Get a good attorney dude! If you really mean what you say, you are not guilty of anything...!!
Really? Please show me the statutes that show the LEGAL drinking age to be 18 in Az.....Take you time...I'll wait....;)

FlyingRon

If you get a minor consumption, you'll be lucky. You are subject to being charged with DUI Being in the vehicle with the keys usually qualifies.

netic

Plead out

Most likley for 3500 all the attorney will do for you is plea bargin the minimum for you. They will probally drop the contributing to a minor, if you accept the min for a DUI. In AZ they will allways push the DUI. Since the breathalyzer sunk you, your best bet is to represent yourself, and at the last minute, request a public defender. You will probally get stuck with the minimum penalties but at least you saved the lawyer fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">