• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Court Costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Haunting

My husband got a DUI back in 1998. We lived in several cities since then, but never received any notification from the Florida courts about needing to pay this court cost. Today we received a call from a lawyer about this, in which my husband turned around and called the Florida court and paid the fine w/ interest. My question is are we responsible for the interest even though we NEVER received any notification from the Florida Courts or anybody for that matter about the original fine? When we moved we ALWAYS left a change of address with the post office and anyone else who needed to know. Why did it take them so long to "find us"? If we had known about the fine we would have taken care of it right then.

Antigone*

My husband got a DUI back in 1998. We lived in several cities since then, but never received any notification from the Florida courts about needing to pay this court cost. Today we received a call from a lawyer about this, in which my husband turned around and called the Florida court and paid the fine w/ interest. My question is are we responsible for the interest even though we NEVER received any notification from the Florida Courts or anybody for that matter about the original fine? When we moved we ALWAYS left a change of address with the post office and anyone else who needed to know. Why did it take them so long to "find us"? If we had known about the fine we would have taken care of it right then.
Yes your husband is responsible for the interest charges as they are allowed by the State.

The crystal ball is broken so we don't know why it took they so long to find him. Hubby knew he had pending fines, why didn't he take care of them on his own?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">