• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI in different states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ster08

What is the name of your state? CA and NV

I recieved a DUI in California 5 years ago. Recently I recieved a DUI in Nevada. My question is I understand the DMV will count this as my second DUI. But as far as the criminal courts go, will this be my first or second offenece? I have been looking all over the internet and have found some places saying that a DUI in California will not transfer to criminal courts in Nevada. But other sites saying DUI's do transfer criminal courts from State to State. I live in Nevada now btw..

I could really use a clear answer on this one.

Thanks

Ster08

Thanks for your nice quote, keep working to achieve that Forbes goal of yours.

But I could really use an actual response to my question rather then you whitty humor.

Thanks

CourtClerk

This will be your second offense. (that's your legal answer)

Now... unfortunately, DUI laws aren't at stringent as they should be and it's just a shame that you will probably get another virtual slap on the wrist for this because I personally would hope that they put you away before you kill someone. My son is punished more severely for not obeying the house rules.

Ster08

Ok thanks for answering my question but here is the quotes of what I found from a law site on the internet

Nevada’s Supreme Court has interpreted that state’s DUI law to preclude out-of-state DUI convictions from being counted. For example, a person with four California DUI convictions who for the first time is convicted for DUI in Nevada, would be considered a first-time offender.

AB 241 (Buckley, D-Las Vegas) is intended to clarify that an out-of-state DUI conviction counts as a DUI conviction under Nevada law as it relates to persons eligible for entering a drug and alcohol treatment program and receiving a deferred sentence. The goal is to stop serious offenders from being accepted into a treatment program and receiving a lesser sentence

If someone could please give me a definitive answer that knows what he is talking about would be a big help.

Shay-Pari'e

Thanks for your nice quote, keep working to achieve that Forbes goal of yours.

But I could really use an actual response to my question rather then you whitty humor.

Thanks
I'm alway's seeking my Forbes goal, you might want to think of doing the same.

mmann11

My Experience

My experience was between PA and VA. I was stupid enough to tell the cop that I have been arrested before for a DUI in PA. When they pulled my DMV record it did not have a conviction date on there for the DUI just arrest so I denied that I was ever convicted. If they don't have the evidence they have to charge you with a first offence and that is what happened. I cant say about CA and NV. I suggest you ask the prosecutor to provide you with all the information they plan to present in the court as that is your right. Pull your dmv record and see what that states. DO NOT disclose any more information that you need to and you should be ok.

To all, please please, if you don't have valuable advice to share then keep your opinions to yourself, we could care less what your punishment at home is or how poor your sense of humor is.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">