• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI & Flight to avoid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unm47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

I was charged with a DUI (first offense) and flight to avoid arrest (felony). I think I blew 0.092, but can't remember what my lawyer told me. No one got injured and nothing got damaged, which isn't an excuse, but I'm getting all of the facts out there. This is my first criminal offense ever. It's everyone's reasoning but basically what happened is I woke up, took my prescribed meds, which consist of muscle relaxers, blood pressure meds, depression meds, and a benzo at max dose for anxiety. I went to a sports bar to watch football between 30 minutes and an hour after taking my prescribed meds. The closest I've ever come to taking my meds and drinking was probably 13 hours, but at the time I was starting a new job and my sleep schedule was completely messed up, so I probably woke up around 7 and went out. I remember having two or three beers (this happened in 2009) and don't remember the rest of the night.

I was originally forced to go to trial with a lawyer that I didn't choose and was convicted of the felony and the misdemeanor. I was then sentenced to a year and 60 days in prison (6 months good time). I appealed it and won my appeal, so now the trial is approaching. I'm set to go to trial in the next few weeks and was given an offer from the prosecutor that they would drop the DUI if I plead guilty to the felony, which would give me a better chance at probation I was told by my lawyer; This is the original offer they gave me. A better chance at probation really doesn't hold water, as there's no guarantee.

My thought is, the judge will give me the same sentence as before in order to justify his previous sentence. He didn't give me probation before because I didn't take responsibility, as my reasoning was I don't remember so I can't possibly be guilty of anything, which was naive to think, but I've never been involved in the legal system. I know that this should be a misdemeanor because I can't remember anything from that night after having a couple beers, which removes the willing-full intent, but at the same time like I previously said, a lot of people use the 'I don't remember' thing, which is the truth in this case but I'm not sure how a jury would see it. Obviously I have my medical records and a psychologist to testify that something like this can happen.

I know I'm guilty of a dui and a misdemeanor flight to avoid and take full responsibility, but it's not possible for me to actually be guilty of the felony flight, but I'm not sure how a jury would see the case. I tend to over-analyze things I guess.

Any advice on the situation is appreciated, good or bad. Thank you.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I'd certainly hate to take a felony. It would be one thing if they dropped the felony for the misdemeanor. There's got to be something pretty substantial that you're not exposing to us about what happened that would make them insist on pursuing felony charges (this isn't just the matter of not stopping right away when they tried to pull you over).

unm47

Thanks for the reply.

That's what everyone I talk to about this situation says, there has to be more. There's really nothing more. I live in a very strict county. I can pm a link to my appeal docs if needed, there's not much about the case in there, just the prejudice of the trial, so I'm not sure how that would show any proof that there's nothing more involved.

The judge stated he was going to give me probation, but since I didn't accept responsibility, he decided to give me a year and 60 days. When I was checked into the prison in Lincoln, the guy asked what I was there for and he laughed and said he's never had anyone come in for that before.

I have a full time job, recently stopped going to school until this situation is over (didn't want to start another semester in case I go back). 26 years old and it's my first offense. I fit every criteria for probation but it's a very strict county when it comes to stuff like this.

The prosecutor has actually had discussions about my case with a family friend, so to me it seems kind of personal.

The video they have shows me going around 80 in a 50, taking turns at 25 or so miles per hour (a normal turn). Not really crossing the lines but straddling it a couple of times. Going through a stop sign and a red light at 3am... which could be the reason why they're going after me so hard?

I can also supply a link via pm to my inmate details in Lincoln, which shows what I was previously convicted of.

What also makes me thinks this is kind of personal is this judge gave a convicted rapist a $10,000 appeal bond, where he gave me a $15,000 appeal bond... but that could also be because he saw me as a flight risk, even though I went through the whole 5 or so month process without missing a court date... so I'm not really sure.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Ah, the "didn't take responsibility" issue rears its ugly head.

The real reason you were sentenced is that you completely fail to take personal responsibility for your actions and show remorse.

You mention the drugs you were on as if it wasn't your fault you took them and drank and drove.

You mention the line as not being crossed... merely "straddled".

Never have you admitted fault.

Judges hate that.

Off topic but how does a 26 year old find themselves taking so many prescription drugs. Jeez I'm twice your age and only take high BP meds. Then you go out and drink, ever read the warnings that came with those prescriptions!!!!

I have to agree with Jeff, Judges hate it when you won't take responsibilty for your actions.

I'm still wondering what happened that brought this to the felony level??? From your description I just don't see it.

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

I was charged with a DUI (first offense) and flight to avoid arrest (felony). I think I blew 0.092, but can't remember what my lawyer told me. No one got injured and nothing got damaged, which isn't an excuse, but I'm getting all of the facts out there. This is my first criminal offense ever. It's everyone's reasoning but basically what happened is I woke up, took my prescribed meds, which consist of muscle relaxers, blood pressure meds, depression meds, and a benzo at max dose for anxiety. I went to a sports bar to watch football between 30 minutes and an hour after taking my prescribed meds. The closest I've ever come to taking my meds and drinking was probably 13 hours, but at the time I was starting a new job and my sleep schedule was completely messed up, so I probably woke up around 7 and went out. I remember having two or three beers (this happened in 2009) and don't remember the rest of the night.

I was originally forced to go to trial with a lawyer that I didn't choose and was convicted of the felony and the misdemeanor. I was then sentenced to a year and 60 days in prison (6 months good time). I appealed it and won my appeal, so now the trial is approaching. I'm set to go to trial in the next few weeks and was given an offer from the prosecutor that they would drop the DUI if I plead guilty to the felony, which would give me a better chance at probation I was told by my lawyer; This is the original offer they gave me. A better chance at probation really doesn't hold water, as there's no guarantee.

My thought is, the judge will give me the same sentence as before in order to justify his previous sentence. He didn't give me probation before because I didn't take responsibility, as my reasoning was I don't remember so I can't possibly be guilty of anything, which was naive to think, but I've never been involved in the legal system. I know that this should be a misdemeanor because I can't remember anything from that night after having a couple beers, which removes the willing-full intent, but at the same time like I previously said, a lot of people use the 'I don't remember' thing, which is the truth in this case but I'm not sure how a jury would see it. Obviously I have my medical records and a psychologist to testify that something like this can happen.

I know I'm guilty of a dui and a misdemeanor flight to avoid and take full responsibility, but it's not possible for me to actually be guilty of the felony flight, but I'm not sure how a jury would see the case. I tend to over-analyze things I guess.

Any advice on the situation is appreciated, good or bad. Thank you.
Seems to me you got a harsh sentence because you went to trial.

How come your lawyer cannot negotiate a plea w/the sentence determined?

This absolutely does not sound like a case to go to trial. I would certainly
try to negotiate and get the best deal. If you lose on this one you could
get years.

I_Got_Banned

I'm still wondering what happened that brought this to the felony level??? From your description I just don't see it.
Here's a link to the statute: 28-905 Operating a motor vehicle or a vessel to avoid arrest; penalty; revocation or impoundment of operator's license. :: 2009 Nebraska Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

I'll only post the pertinent section:
(3)(a) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of a Class IV felony if, in addition to the violation of subsection (1) of this section, one or more of the following also applies:
(i) The person committing the offense has previously been convicted under this section;
(ii) The flight to avoid arrest results directly and proximately in the death of or injury to any person if such death or injury is caused directly and proximately by the vehicle being driven by the person fleeing to avoid arrest; or
(iii) The flight to avoid arrest includes the willful reckless operation of the motor vehicle.​

Based on OP's discription, it could be (iii) but OP also mentioned "I can also supply a link via pm to my inmate details in Lincoln, which shows what I was previously convicted of.", (and that would suggest that (i) above may apply) though I'm not sure if that refers to the first trial or a previous incident.

and don't remember the rest of the night.

He didn't give me probation before because I didn't take responsibility, as my reasoning was I don't remember so I can't possibly be guilty of anything, which was naive to think, but I've never been involved in the legal system. .
It has nothing to do with the court system--your reasoning is faulty.

If you can't remember anything, how do you know that you didn't do every single thing the police have charged you with?

From the statute, it is a felony if "(iii) The flight to avoid arrest includes the willful reckless operation of the motor vehicle." One could certainly make the case that by ripping along at 80MPH and blowing through a stop sign and a red light you were willfully operating your vehicle recklessly.

Not remembering that you led the police on a merry chase does not mean that you didn't do it.

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">