• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dui with hit and run enhancement- CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrs. Jbag

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was arrested for DUI (.21 BAC), and misdemeanor hit and run (no injuries). I had full coverage insurance so I'm not worried about fines on that topic. I have not yet been to court, and the waiting is driving me crazy. I'm looking for an idea on what the fines will be.

Also, if anyone has any information on IID cost, since it was in Alameda County, it would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

The fines can run well past a few thousand. But that's not all. There's the driving school, the suspended license, the AA classes (I hated those), the driving record, the increased insurance costs for years to come, the license reinstatement fees, and having an arrest record sucks total donkey butt.

Mrs. Jbag

I'm aware of the additional penalties (classes, community service, suspended license, and so on) as I have already enrolled in the classes, and the DMV has already started by license suspension. What I'm looking for, is an idea on what to expect my court fines/ costs to be (considering jail time is unlikely since there were no injuries, and my record was absolutely clean until this), and any pricing info on the IID...

Isis1

First offense/ clean record.
I'm aware of the additional penalties (classes, community service, suspended license, and so on) as I have already enrolled in the classes, and the DMV has already started by license suspension. What I'm looking for, is an idea on what to expect my court fines/ costs to be (considering jail time is unlikely since there were no injuries, and my record was absolutely clean until this), and any pricing info on the IID...
Oh honey...jail time is VERY likely. Even with a clean record, AND no hit and run, jail time is very likely. You will be given your terms of probation and/or jail time.

My fees were $1.5k+ and that was without the hit and run. So you can guess $2-3k to give yourself a range.

Just in case, I also forgot to mention the Caltrans.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I'm looking for an idea on what the fines will be.
Here is what I came up with:

If convicted of First California DUI Offense:
  • Possible jail time of not more than 6 months.
  • Fines/Costs: $390-$1,000 (after penalties and assesments = $1275 - 4075).
  • 4 months license suspension; restored after 30 days upon showing of hardship.
  • Court may order use of interlock device.
  • Court may order vehicle impound.
  • First offender DUI school for 3-6 months, depending on BAC level.
  • 3 years informal probation.
  • Community Service.
  • 2 violation points on your driving record.
If convicted of Hit and Run
  • Possible jail time of not more than 6 months.
  • Fine/Costs $300 - $1000 (after penalties and assessments = $1275 to $4075
  • Up to a six month Court ordered suspension and/or up to six month DMV ordered suspension.
  • 2 violation points on your driving record.

That is not counting any attorney's fees.

Whether the jail time for both offenses will run concurrently is up to the court. Same applies to the court ordered suspension and the DMV ordered suspension.

Additionally, and once you're done with the court and DMV ordered suspension, you are looking at a sure (subsequent) 6 month "habitual offender suspension" for exceeding 4 violation points within any 12 month period.

Also, if anyone has any information on IID cost.
It looks to me like worrying about the cost of an IID is the least of your worries... At least for a while.

cyjeff

Let's not forget the enhanced insurance rates.

Are you absolutely positive that your insurance will pay for the damage? Call your insurance agent and make sure...

Some policies expressly exempt damages caused while driving under the influence... though not all.

CdwJava

FYI, DUI has a mandatory 48 hour (two day) jail stay attached to it in addition to the other possible penalties mentioned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">