• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI - jail in Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rikmoor

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

So my bro-in-law lives in Tenn - he just went to court for his second DWI in 2 years (one in Va and one in TN) - don't get me started on this topic right now, it isn't the one at hand. Anyway, he went to court without an attorney and was convicted (he thought this would be another slap on the wrist) - he got 45 days in jail. Now, he didn't tell any of his family (lives in Va) about this before court, so his girlfriend had the honor after his conviction of telling the family he was in jail. So now we want to get an attorney to try to help. Now for the question - is it too late since he has been convicted and sentenced? Or is there still something an attorney can help with? He has already been told there is the potential for 17 days with the remainder of the sentence in rehab - but we would prefer to get him out now.

Thanks for helping me get my family out of jail...

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

So my bro-in-law lives in Tenn - he just went to court for his second DWI in 2 years (one in Va and one in TN) - don't get me started on this topic right now, it isn't the one at hand. Anyway, he went to court without an attorney and was convicted (he thought this would be another slap on the wrist) - he got 45 days in jail. Now, he didn't tell any of his family (lives in Va) about this before court, so his girlfriend had the honor after his conviction of telling the family he was in jail. So now we want to get an attorney to try to help. Now for the question - is it too late since he has been convicted and sentenced? Or is there still something an attorney can help with? He has already been told there is the potential for 17 days with the remainder of the sentence in rehab - but we would prefer to get him out now.

Thanks for helping me get my family out of jail...
Um, yes, unless there was an error in the original trial.

Why would you want to get him out now?:confused:

rikmoor

Mainly because this is a young kid that just isn't smart enough to know how to get himself out of trouble. I'm not making excuses for him, but he is a country kid that doesn't have a lot of money to throw at attorneys so I'm sure that is why he opted to represent himself. I'm all for the teaching him a lesson part, but knowing this kid, when he heard the words "45 days" from the judge, I think you could have said lesson learned.

Regardless, it doesn't sound good for him. I hoped that maybe he could have tried to get legal representation now as an after the fact, but knew the chances were slim. I just wish he would have known enough to try and at least get a continuance to get representation.

Anyway, thanks for the info...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">