• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI and License moving - state to state notification?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CommanderFlynn

What is the name of your state? CA, FL, NV

I'm in a somewhat interesting position.

I was pulled over for a DUI in Feb and arrested while I had a FL license. When they released me they returned my license and possessions as well as a document that said I could drive in CA pending my DMV hearing. I do not or have ever had a CA license.

As of yesterday, I checked my FL driving record online through the FL DMV and it appears completely clean. Today, I received the findings of the DMV hearing which my lawyer attended. I am scheduled for a suspension in my CA driving privileges in a week. My initial pretrial hearing is scheduled for late in the month.

Some job changes have made it so that I will be moving to NV. I plan to go next week to get my FL license (which as far as I know is still valid according to my check yesterday) changed to an NV license.

My questions are how fast do states in the DLC notify each other (CA to FL) of DMV suspensions?

Will CA or FL be able to somehow notify NV of a DUI suspension or conviction? CA I think, would have no records of my new NV license but FL would. Of course since I'm doing the change next week, FL wouldn't even have a record of my CA DUI incident.

Thanks.

garrula lingua

You're risking a felony perjury charge playing that game.

Yea, it may take a while for the info to land in the right DMV. But, you will pay for any misrepresentation (they can revoke your driving privileges for life).

CommanderFlynn

Wow, perjury?

I'm not sure what I should do then, should I just keep my FL license then even if I move to NV?

I plan to follow whatever the results of my trial or plead are in CA.

moburkes

Wow, perjury?

I'm not sure what I should do then, should I just keep my FL license then even if I move to NV?

I plan to follow whatever the results of my trial or plead are in CA.
License suspensions follow you from state to state. You won't be able to legally keep your FL license if you are no longer a resident of FL.

racer72

License suspensions follow you from state to state. You won't be able to legally keep your FL license if you are no longer a resident of FL.
Florida and Nevada are members of the Non Resident Violators Compact. California is not a member but reports suspensions to other states That means when California suspends your privelige to drive, it will be effective in all member states.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Just because nobody physically confiscates you license from Florida, that doesn't mean it isn't suspended. It can be in your wallet while you drive in another state, but you're still driving with a suspended license. The least little traffic violation, or victim of another driver running a red light, and you could be facing trouble.

mayday

info on state 2 state

What is the name of your state? CA, FL, NV

I'm in a somewhat interesting position.

I was pulled over for a DUI in Feb and arrested while I had a FL license. When they released me they returned my license and possessions as well as a document that said I could drive in CA pending my DMV hearing. I do not or have ever had a CA license.

As of yesterday, I checked my FL driving record online through the FL DMV and it appears completely clean. Today, I received the findings of the DMV hearing which my lawyer attended. I am scheduled for a suspension in my CA driving privileges in a week. My initial pretrial hearing is scheduled for late in the month.

Some job changes have made it so that I will be moving to NV. I plan to go next week to get my FL license (which as far as I know is still valid according to my check yesterday) changed to an NV license.

My questions are how fast do states in the DLC notify each other (CA to FL) of DMV suspensions?

Will CA or FL be able to somehow notify NV of a DUI suspension or conviction? CA I think, would have no records of my new NV license but FL would. Of course since I'm doing the change next week, FL wouldn't even have a record of my CA DUI incident.

Thanks.
I found out today that it takes about 7 seconds to get a response from state to state. since 9/11 and the security act all the links and info are much more extensive and go back at least the 22 years according to the experience I had today. The response had been non responsive since my last drivers license renewal in 2002, and now my stuff is popping up after 22 yrs! I did contact both Mn and Ia dept of trans. This tells me the stuff will catch up no matter if you're right or wrong, and may pop up to suprise you when you least expect it especially when you think you've done all you were supposed to do. mayday

sjmjuly

Here is what I have learned about all this stuff:

If you live and are licensed in one state but are arrested in another for DUI, the arresting state does NOT have the authority to confiscate your out of state license. They can and WILL suspend your driving priviledges in the state you were arrested. There are two things that are triggered when someone is arrested and charged with DUI/DWI: A administrative action (DMV) and a criminal action. Each are separate of one another. The administrative action is the first action where the DMV suspends your license and/or priviledge to drive in the state you were arrested. DEPENDING ON THE STATE AND THEIR LAWS WILL DETERMINE WHEN/HOW THEY NOTIFY THE HOME STATE OF YOUR ADMINISTRATIVE SUSPENSION.
The second action is the actual criminal/court procedings and whether or not you are actually CONVICTED of the offense. If convicted, this action is again reported to the DMV where your license can be suspended for a second time. This action will more than likely (again, it depends on whether or not your the state is part of the driver compact - most states are) will be reported to the home state where the home state DMV will take action.
Believe me, I have been living in my own DUI hell for the past two months and between my attorney and alot of research this is what I have discovered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">