• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI - Marijuana - Advice Much Appreciated...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chalander

A Little About Myself: I am a resident in Washington United States, here is my story. I am 19 years old, i am currently going to college for my RN or paramedic cert. I am a volunteer firefighter for my local community with intentions on becoming a full time, career firefighter.

My Dilemma: I was driving my friend's father's car to the movies, shoffering my friend and his girl friend when i was pulled over for speeding. I passed two cars going in a double lane road and was clocked at 71 in a 55. I thought it was legal to speed when passing, but as i was informed by the officer, one can only speed when crossing the median of the the road, rather than the white dotted line that separated two lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction. I live in a small rural town with a residence of roughly 20k so you can expect i do not have a lot of highway experience. When i was pulled over the officer smelt marijuana in the car and upon searching it he found a personal pipe which belonged to a friend of mine in the car. While under arrest i denied all charges regarding marijuana being in the car. The officer found a bag empty. To justify himself the officer requested that i was to take a blood test which i am sure will come up positive because though i did not take part in smoking in the car with my friends i did smoke hours prior to our expedition. I am a habitual user of marijuana and have been ever since i injured my back 3-4 years ago while lifting weights. I have extensive medical records consisting of x-rays, multiple chiropractor visits to a number of different chiropractors, visits to the doctor, etc. I am against taking pills for i know the effect that they have on one's health. Thus, i strongly prefer the use of marijuana to aid my medical impairment.

A Closer Look: I would like to restate that at the time of the scene i denied all charges and utilized my right to remain silent when interrogated by the officer. It of course would be much simpler to gain access to a green card as i know that i am more than qualified for, but i have a DREAM to become a firefighter and i have found that if you have a green card then you cannot participate in that career. i believe this is due to the difference in laws from a state level to the federal level, regarding the legality issues of smoking marijuana.

My Question: I am in no position to lose my license and have a bright future in front of me. What can i do to limit/aviod possible upcoming prosecutions?

Much Obliged,
Chalander~

Antigone*

A Little About Myself: I am a resident in Washington United States, here is my story. I am 19 years old, i am currently going to college for my RN or paramedic cert. I am a volunteer firefighter for my local community with intentions on becoming a full time, career firefighter.

My Dilemma: I was driving my friend's father's car to the movies, shoffering my friend and his girl friend when i was pulled over for speeding. I passed two cars going in a double lane road and was clocked at 71 in a 55. I thought it was legal to speed when passing, but as i was informed by the officer, one can only speed when crossing the median of the the road, rather than the white dotted line that separated two lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction. I live in a small rural town with a residence of roughly 20k so you can expect i do not have a lot of highway experience. When i was pulled over the officer smelt marijuana in the car and upon searching it he found a personal pipe which belonged to a friend of mine in the car. While under arrest i denied all charges regarding marijuana being in the car. The officer found a bag empty. To justify himself the officer requested that i was to take a blood test which i am sure will come up positive because though i did not take part in smoking in the car with my friends i did smoke hours prior to our expedition. I am a habitual user of marijuana and have been ever since i injured my back 3-4 years ago while lifting weights. I have extensive medical records consisting of x-rays, multiple chiropractor visits to a number of different chiropractors, visits to the doctor, etc. I am against taking pills for i know the effect that they have on one's health. Thus, i strongly prefer the use of marijuana to aid my medical impairment.

A Closer Look: I would like to restate that at the time of the scene i denied all charges and utilized my right to remain silent when interrogated by the officer. It of course would be much simpler to gain access to a green card as i know that i am more than qualified for, but i have a DREAM to become a firefighter and i have found that if you have a green card then you cannot participate in that career. i believe this is due to the difference in laws from a state level to the federal level, regarding the legality issues of smoking marijuana.

My Question: I am in no position to lose my license and have a bright future in front of me. What can i do to limit/aviod possible upcoming prosecutions?

Much Obliged,
Chalander~
You are in no position to become firefighter, RD, or paramedic either. Throw yourself on the mercy of the court and apply to be a fry cook.

BigMistakeFl

You may have jeapardized your future, unless you can get a reduction. I don't know how you would do that but you should hire a good defense attorney, not try to do this on your own. I know that's an expense you may not be prepared for, but your future depends on it.

one can only speed when crossing the median of the the road
Someone's going to have to explain that to me.

As for smoking for your back strain, I've been a weightlifter for 21 years, sufferring every kind of muscle strain and joint pain you can get from this "sport". I'd like to recommend Ibuprophen. It really does help, that and an inexpensive heating pad. Even the generic kind of pills I buy OTC are no more dangerous than the carcinogens you are inhaling when you get high.

Chalander

Please refrain from posting on behalf of your beliefs regarding marijuana, and stick to the reality of the situation. But thank you for your time and effort regardless.

Antigone*

Please refrain from posting on behalf of your beliefs regarding marijuana, and stick to the reality of the situation. But thank you for your time and effort regardless.
Refrain nothing:mad::mad:

I owe my daughter's life to a quick-thinking and a well-balanced team of fire fighters, paramedics, doctors and nurses. Any one of those professionals not being in their right state of mind would not have been able to react the way they needed to. As a pothead you have no business being in the business of saving lives.

You asked for advice, you got it. You want to keep smoking pot look for another career. Now if you want a refund ask for it on the way out the door.

Alex23

It of course would be much simpler to gain access to a green card as i know that i am more than qualified for.
Chalander~
Go back to Canada.

Haha, that was a joke.

So is this:
I thought it was legal to speed when passing, but as i was informed by the officer, one can only speed when crossing the median of the the road,
Speeding is only acceptable if you're going the wrong way in your state?

BigMistakeFl

I'll have you know that I'm one of those middle aged men who believe strongly that marijuana should be legal. I don't use it anymore, but I find its use no worse than beer to the beer drinker. Having said that, I again steadfastly state that I've been a body-builder longer than you have been alive. And for muscle strain and joint pain, there are far better ways to treat it than to get high. You choose that, sir, for pleasure.

cyjeff

I am always intrigued by people that fear the pills a doctor prescribes but are more than willing to self diagnose and treat a medical condition with medications obtained on a street corner from a person known only as "Razor Burn".

I will ask this. You say you have a plethora of documentation around your injury.

Did any of them sign off on pot as a treatment option?

Chalander

As i knew already i have to choose between marijuana and my future career. Easy enough i choose firefighting. With that said, would someone mind shinning some light upon my ordeal? I have very little knowledge regarding the legal system, and have never been to court before. I have explained my present concerns regarding my future. After all, i am only 19 and have my whole life in front of me.

"Did any of them sign off on pot as a treatment option?" ~ cyjeff

Yes, and no. While analyzing my X-Rays, my chiropactor explained to me that i need physical therapy. As it was explained to me, the muscle fibers in my back become tight and some how weaken the support for the vertebra within my back, she used the metaphor of them actually pulling my vertebra out of alignment due to the lack of elasticity. This resulted in my complaints of pain due to pinched nerves. though she said it is for the most part reversible, it will take physical therapy as a remedy. I explained to her my financial issues being a full time student, etc. and she was kind enough to point me in the right direction towards many insightful books regarding how i can treat myself, which have worked wonderfully hand in hand with marijuana. She did tell me that marijuana was a possibility for a remedy for temporary relief, simply because it promotes relaxation to the user allowing the muscle fibers the time to heal.

though a green card is possible for me to obtain i DO NOT want it to hamper my future of being a firefighter. The same fear goes hand and hand with participating in physical therapy.

I am not here to justify the medical impacts regarding marijuana. I have my own opinions on whether it is beneficial as everyone else has their own.

"I owe my daughter's life to a quick-thinking and a well-balanced team of fire fighters, paramedics, doctors and nurses. Any one of those professionals not being in their right state of mind would not have been able to react the way they needed to."~Wirelessany1

I agree with you 100%. I do not condone of such actions taken while under the influence. As it is now i use marijuana before bed, and minuscule amounts within the morning prior to my aerobic exercises/stretches that were suggested by my chiropractor at the visit explained at the beginning of this reply.

"As a pothead you have no business being in the business of saving lives."~Wirelessany1
Let me ask you this, if you are a frequent advocate of pills for legitimate medical reasons, does that necessarily make you, for lack of a better slang term, a "pill popper"? - Hypothetical question. I feel you have an issue in differentiating the difference between the multiple users of pot. Not to ridicule you by any means but after all i am 19 and i believe i have a strong grasp on the concept of a "pot head." I am sure a majority of us can recall vivid memories of pot heads roaming the halls in high school.

Wirelessany1 ~ Your beliefs regarding firefighting and the use of marijuana are inevitably true. An employed firefighter has to be mentally alert at all times for he may be called to duty at anytime of the day. With that said i have no intentions of using marijuana in the future, and hope to have my medical condition controlled via other medicinal methods, if at that time they are still a concern.

But please can we pull away from trying to justify the usage of marijuana and focus on the the legality issue of my current situation.

Thanks again for your sharing with me your time and effort,
Chalander~

Last edited:

cyjeff

As i knew already i have to choose between marijuana and my future career. Easy enough i choose firefighting.
Actually, you chose pot.

With that said, would someone mind shinning some light upon my ordeal? I have very little knowledge regarding the legal system, and have never been to court before. I have explained my present concerns regarding my future. After all, i am only 19 and have my whole life in front of me.
See above.

"Did any of them sign off on pot as a treatment option?" ~ cyjeff

Yes, and no. While analyzing my X-Rays, my chiropactor explained to me that i need physical therapy. As it was explained to me, the muscle fibers in my back become tight and some how weaken the support for the vertebra within my back, she used the metaphor of them actually pulling my vertebra out of alignment due to the lack of elasticity. This resulted in my complaints of pain due to pinched nerves. though she said it is for the most part reversible, it will take physical therapy as a remedy. I explained to her my financial issues being a full time student, etc. and she was kind enough to point me in the right direction towards many insightful books regarding how i can treat myself, which have worked wonderfully hand in hand with marijuana. She did tell me that marijuana was a possibility for a remedy for temporary relief, simply because it promotes relaxation to the user allowing the muscle fibers the time to heal.
Then put the chiropractor that told you to smoke pot on the stand. Be prepared for her to deny it... as it will cost her license.

though a green card is possible for me to obtain i DO NOT want it to hamper my future of being a firefighter. The same fear goes hand and hand with participating in physical therapy.
We should probably just go ahead and get this out of the way.

Firefighting is no longer an option. You chose pot.

I am not here to justify the medical impacts regarding marijuana. I have my own opinions on whether it is beneficial as everyone else has their own.
Oh good. You have a doctor's education to fall back on... and at only 19...

Wait, you are NOT a doctor? Then you have no business making medical assessments of ANYONE's condition (including your own) and possible treatments... including pot.

Just because you read a 1969 article in Mother Jones that said pot will cure all ills and give you superpowers doesn't mean you can use it in court.

"I owe my daughter's life to a quick-thinking and a well-balanced team of fire fighters, paramedics, doctors and nurses. Any one of those professionals not being in their right state of mind would not have been able to react the way they needed to."~Wirelessany1

I agree with you 100%. I do not condone of such actions taken while under the influence.
Apparently, just while driving.

As it is now i use marijuana before bed, and minuscule amounts within the morning prior to my aerobic exercises/stretches that were suggested by my chiropractor at the visit explained at the beginning of this reply.
*cough*cough*

Put this chiropractor on the stand.... and you might have a chance.

"As a pothead you have no business being in the business of saving lives."~Wirelessany1
Let me ask you this, if you are a frequent advocate of pills for legitimate medical reasons, does that necessarily make you, for lack of a better slang term, a "pill popper"? - Hypothetical question
So, again, you are comparing your self medication to that given by a doctor to a patient?

Really?

Even in states that allow medical marijuana, you cannot self prescribe.

I feel you have an issue in differentiating the difference between the multiple users of pot. Not to ridicule you by any means but after all i am 19 and i believe i have a strong grasp on the concept of a "pot head." I am sure a majority of us can recall vivid memories of pot heads roaming the halls in high school.
Yeah, the folks that used it daily, the excuses about how it was good for them, the insistence that it shouldn't be a real crime and the demand that, when caught, they suffer no penalty for breaking the law....

Good times... good times...

Wirelessany1 ~ Your beliefs regarding firefighting and the use of marijuana are inevitably true. An employed firefighter has to be mentally alert at all times for he may be called to duty at anytime of the day. With that said i have no intentions of using marijuana in the future, and hope to have my medical condition controlled via other medicinal methods, if at that time they are still a concern.
*cough*cough*

You are saying you understand you want to be alert to do a job... but not to pilot 2 tons of steel complete with passengers.

Listen, I tried to help you... but this insistence that a rogue chiropractor's best advice was "light up, Johnny" when you complained about pain is crap.

Go ahead, try it in court.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMistakeFl

As a trainer, I've seen this happen to dozens of men, mostly young men. They work their chest very well several times a week, maybe arms some too. You can remedy this yourself by spending equal time on your back muscles. Same applies to any joint, build the musles on the other side for support.

Kimaero

Actually, you chose POT.

See above.

Then put the chiropractor that told you to smoke POT on the stand. Be prepared for her to deny it... as it will cost her license.

We should probably just go ahead and get this out of the way.

Firefighting is no longer an option. You chose POT.

POT POT POT SARCASM POT POT SMARMY "LET'S PRETEND I HAVE A COLD EVEN THOUGH I'M POSTING ON AN INTERNET FORUM" COMMENTS POT ETCETERA POT I AM MATURE

ALSO POT
Let's pretend you're helpful.

Now let's pretend you're useful.

Now let's pretend we're going to be on-topic for once.

Unfortunately, Chalander, you are pretty much backed into a corner here.

Despite the validity of your actions in logic, as far as the law goes, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing the wrong things. Unless you can find some way to piggyback on the incoming tide of pro-marijuana sentiment (read: Change.org), I don't see this going very well for you at all.

Chalander

"Despite the validity of your actions in logic, as far as the law goes, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing the wrong things. Unless you can find some way to piggyback on the incoming tide of pro-marijuana sentiment (read: Change.org), I don't see this going very well for you at all." ~Kimaero

I agree. As it is now, i am planning on pleaing guilty and volunteering for which ever means of redemption are necessary, drug counseling, UA's, etc. with hope that the court will reduce the necessary charges that would effect my future. One of the members in my dept. received a DUI -alcohol and the court saw him guilty but did not revoke his license due to the security of his job.

Comments appreciated.

Silverplum

I agree. As it is now, i am planning on pleaing guilty and volunteering for which ever means of redemption are necessary, drug counseling, UA's, etc. with hope that the court will reduce the necessary charges that would effect my future. One of the members in my dept. received a DUI -alcohol and the court saw him guilty but did not revoke his license due to the security of his job.

Comments appreciated.
You don't have a snowball's chance in heck of getting a paid job as a firefighter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">