• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI - moving to another state & drive for work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duiaware

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
I got a DUI which was dropped down to DWAI in Denver. My questions are around CO DMV
1. Since I work extensively out of state almost every week for a few days, I am not sure if I can drive cars in those states. According to CO state DMV I "have an Interlock installed in every vehicle you either own or may drive". When I asked DMV if I can drive a rental car in other states, the operators "say" that this restriction is for driving within the state of CO and they don't care for other states, and don't care or know about other states. In that context, can I really drive in other states? Can I get a special permit from CO DMV to drive in other states for work or what are my options so I can drive cars without interlocks in other states, especially for work? (FYI, the restriction is boldly listed on the license)
2. I am planning to move to NV and while I do not mind fulfilling CO DMV obligation (interlock for another 1.5yrs!), I noticed that NV laws (both criminal court and DMV) are far less harsher. I have far surpassed their DMV obligations by now than what I got in CO. CO DMV is much harsher than any other state. Can I file for early withdrawal on my restriction once I move to NV? Or, if I get an approval for question #1 above, can I apply that in NV?
I am not even a drunk (it was my one time damn stupidity!). The criminal court/PO realized this during my hearing and was extremely satisfied with my case - dropped it to DWAI, and early termination from PO after I was done with my obligations. I am done with all my court obligations in a record time, but its my DMV that I am worried about. I just really want to be able to drive out of state for work and not live in fear of getting arrested/revoked in another state for an interlock restriction even tho CO DMV does not care about in another state!

Anyway, any help/other suggestions will be so much helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!
PS: With dedication, I flawlessly completed all the classes, madd, and community services etc and never blew hot/failed in PO ordered BA monitored sobriety nor the interlock tests in my car.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">