• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI multiple states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NVChelleChelle

My friend just received his 3rd DUI. The first one was in Virginia (VA) in 2002, the second one was in California (CA) in 2008. When he was convicted of the one in CA, they did no find out about the first one in VA and convicted him as a first time offender. In October 2010 he received a DUI in the District of Columba (DC). He has a VA driver's license. Will DC find out about either of the other two convictions? How much do states talk to each other about these types of convictions? Also, will VA find out about DC if he is convicted? if so what will VA do?

Isis1

They talk to each other alot. Sometimes the DA doesn't do all his/her homework and repetitive drinkers get off driving around drunk until they kill someone. Then it becomes an issue.

FlyingRon

I suspect it's much more likely that DC will notice a VA DUI than California will.

I also posit that in the past few years the computer records have gotten a lot better. We're getting a lot of posts here where people are finding old citations are catching up with them after years of not being noticed on license renewals and the like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">