• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI - need to reschedule arraignment (for friend)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrogers04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My friend needs to reschedule her arraignment because she's been planning a trip (has plane tickets) to Britain for a week and a half. This affects me because we're going together and I've already booked all our accommodations.

She called about this and a receptionist curtly told her that if she missed the date they would issue a warrant for her arrest.

Is it as simple as that?

Is there anything she can do to get the date moved forward or back? A waiting list perhaps? Would a lawyer be needed to do something like this?

Thanks,
J.

P.S. If it makes any difference she was also charged with reckless driving.

jrogers04

Updated

So I just heard that the courts are willing to consider a reschedule, but not until the day of the court date.

Apparently then they will look at the evidence of a pre-planned trip and decide whether she deserves a reschedule.

So our problem now is: is it too big a gamble to assume they'll see that the trip was pre-planned and allow a reschedule?

Does anyone know how likely this is? If they find it to be not a legitimate excuse will they issue a warrant? To me this seems like a catch-22.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
J.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">