• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mileslibertatis

New Jersey/Pennsylvania

My friend (seriously, I'm deployed to Iraq, no chance of a DUI here) recently got pulled over in NJ and is awaiting charges for operating his vehicle while intoxicated.

He is a resident of Pennsylvania and has a PA license. If convicted, will his PA license be suspended or revoked? Should he definitely get an attorney, or is it sometimes okay to treat it like a normal traffic ticket and just plough your way through the system until it is resolved?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
New Jersey/Pennsylvania

My friend (seriously, I'm deployed to Iraq, no chance of a DUI here) recently got pulled over in NJ and is awaiting charges for operating his vehicle while intoxicated.

He is a resident of Pennsylvania and has a PA license. If convicted, will his PA license be suspended or revoked? Should he definitely get an attorney, or is it sometimes okay to treat it like a normal traffic ticket and just plough your way through the system until it is resolved?
More details would be necessary. How high was his BAC? Did he refuse or cooperate? Has he had a DUI before? How old is he? And yes it is possible his PA license will be suspended or revoked. Getting an attorney would be a good idea.

Now my question -- if you are in Iraq and he is in NJ, how can YOU ask questions for him and he cannot log in to ask them himself?

Thanks for doing the job you are doing if you are in the military over there.

mileslibertatis

I am sure he cooperated with the police when he was stopped, and I don't know how high his BAC was at the time. This is indeed his first DUI, all previous citations having been for speeding or similar infractions.

You know how friendships can be - I'm the friend that tries to get answers. He seems to think his privileges will be suspended only in NJ. That sounds too good to be true to me, especially since all states consider DUI a serious matter, and reciprocity is common between NJ and PA on a host of other matters.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am sure he cooperated with the police when he was stopped, and I don't know how high his BAC was at the time. This is indeed his first DUI, all previous citations having been for speeding or similar infractions.

You know how friendships can be - I'm the friend that tries to get answers. He seems to think his privileges will be suspended only in NJ. That sounds too good to be true to me, especially since all states consider DUI a serious matter, and reciprocity is common between NJ and PA on a host of other matters.
Tell him not to count on it -- the whole full faith and credit clause comes to mind> granted that is only present in a little piece of paper and nothing all that important. Both states are part of the Interstate Compact. So his license is toast.

FlyingRon

PA will suspend as soon as they get the notification. It would have been better for him to get his DUI at home. NJ has nothing like ARD.

foot

Actually...PA does not suspend at all for out-of-state DUI if it is your first. He won't be able to drive in NJ though.

FlyingRon

Actually...PA does not suspend at all for out-of-state DUI if it is your first. He won't be able to drive in NJ though.
Pennsylvania will not administratively suspended him for the first offense DUI, however if your license is suspended in another state they WILL NOT RENEW YOUR PENNA license while the other state's sanctions are active. No occupational license either. You'll need to fully reinstate in NJ before PA will issue you another license of any sort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">