• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI out of state. Please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billgutsky

Back in 2003, I received a DUI in Wisconsin. I moved out to California (Los Angeles) in 2005. My revocation expired a while back and I am now trying to get my license back.

So for the past 2 years I've been jumping through hoops, beating my head against a wall trying to satisfy both states. So back in 2007 I went to the DMV to take the test here in Long Beach. Passed with flying colors, but Wisconsin's DMV had a hold on it. So I called them up and they said I needed an alcohol assessment and pay a $50 reinstatement fee to lift the hold. No problem, I thought. So, I go to Torrance, CA, get assessed and the assessor didn't assign me any classes since I hadn't had a drink in over 5 years. Finished, so I thought. I fax the assessment to the WI dmv and they proceed to tell me I need an assessment AND a "structured alcohol class". I asked them what a structured alcohol class was, and they didnt specify (the 10 times I called) So I've been calling every alcohol and drug dependancy center in LA county trying to set up a "structured alcohol class" and they either don't know what Im talking about or can't help me. And everytime I call WI DMV, they are no help. I'm at my wits end and can't handle public trans. anymore.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Let me give you a small hint. You can't solve this by dealing with people in LA just because the light is better there. You'll need to fix it in Wisconsin. If you are unwilling to go to Wisconsin, your best bet is to get a lawyer there (particularly one in the county you were convicted in that is familiar with the process). It's not the DUI's job to fix this for you.

billgutsky

That's a bummer. I'm so willing to jump through hoops here in LA to take care of this mess. It's not really an option missing work to fly back to WI and I don't really make the salary with enough expendable $$ to buy a lawyer with. Big catch 22 everywhere I turn... I was just curious if anyone else had endured this nightmare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">