• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ARJUN12

Hi All,

I got my 1st DUI in Michigan (BAC 0.14). It was my 1st offence with no prior tickets. No one was injured and I was caught for speeding and charged with OWI. I have hired an attorney and he is going to file some pre-trial motions questioning the stop and 15 minute observation period.

I was planning to leave for my home country Bangladesh in 3-4 months anyways to pursue other employment opportunities. I have a 4 year old GC.

Question:

1. Can I leave for Bangladesh after case is settled and I am on a probation? Can the porbation officer allow me to leave for Bangladesh for long term while on probation (or can they make it a non-reporting probation).

2. Prosecutor is offering a plea-bargain of OWVI (Visibly Impaired). should I take it and get over it?

I am willing to complete all community service & other classes and move to India asap after the case is sentenced.

Any thoughts

FlyingRon

His lawyer is the one to ask these things to.
Travel may require permission of the probation department (though DUI ones are usually less supervised). I've never seen such denied if the person is in good standing.

Michigan courts are all over the place with respect to plea bargains, etc...the lawyer would be the one to answer that question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">