• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI, Probation and needing to leave my state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MattPAVT

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi. I was recently (within 4 months or so) charged with a DUI Controlled Substance and a few other traffic violations. Well that landed me on Probation. 1 year plus like 2 grand in fines and classes and the like. I also face 2 charges of harassment unrelated to the first set of charges. My dilemna is, im on probation in a county 150 miles south of where i live at which is making it hard for me to get down there. Im a broke college kid and they dont understand that. I dont even have a car anymore. Well, my lease runs up on the 12th of May and the ONLY place i have to move is to Vermont. Well probation is telling me that there is no way in hell that i can have my probation moved to Vermont.

So against everything i stand for, the only choice it appears i have is to move to Vermont, and i have to take it.

My question basically is, with those charges and probation also involved, if i moved to VT anyways what will happen and will they chase me, send me back if they find me, those kinds of things. I really dont want to move and just leave all this behind me, but i have no choice, i have to move. What can i do, and if i just move, what can they do?

If you need anymore information, just ask me. I lose my internet connection tonight (May 10) sometime so any answers you have, please please dont hesitate to write em down here. Thank you in advance.

seniorjudge

If you are guilty of a felony and abscond, they will find you and extradite you to your home state where you will be thrown in prison.

MattPAVT

i dont know if it is or not. it was never mentioned to me as far as i know. i think its a misdemeanor. im not sure. im sorry i dont know, i was kind of hoping someone else knew and could help me.

Just Blue

i dont know if it is or not. it was never mentioned to me as far as i know. i think its a misdemeanor. im not sure. im sorry i dont know, i was kind of hoping someone else knew and could help me.
Look at your paperwork and tell us the statute you were charged/convicted with....

xylene

The bottom line is -

If you asbscond, you will be arrestable.

Your sentence will not go away.

Even if you avoid the law you will have massive problems with things others take for granted.

You will find it almost impossible to get a drivers license.

You can find a place in PA.

MattPAVT

count1 driving under the influence (misdemeanor 0)
count2 driving under the influence (misdemeanor 0)
count3 driving under the influence (misdemeanor 0)
count4 Theft by unlawful taking (misdemeanor 0)
count5 recieving stolen property (misdemeanor 3)
count6 possession of drug paraphanelia (misdemeanor 0)
count7 Traffic-Control signals (Summary 0)
count8 Driving vehicle at safe speed (summary 0)

for one accident.^^

count1 harassment (misdemeanor 3)
count2 possession of drug paraphanelia (misdemeanor 0)
count3 possession of drug paraphanelia (misdemeanor 0)

for getting pulled over when they wanted to "talk" to me^^

count1 harassment (misdemeanor 3)
count2 harassment (misdemeanor 3)

about a week apart, about 3 weeks ago.^^

that help? i dont know what a misdemeanor 3 is

This isn't like leaving a state without paying a parking ticket. That probably won't catch up to you; this will. You really are best to deal with the situation now and in a legit manner. Running away from it will just add more charges against you and result in a decidedly more harsh penalty.
Yeah, it sucks, but this isn't going to disappear.

FlyingRon

One issue is your probation, the other issue is the new charges. I can't imagine the probation department approving you moving while you are waiting to stand charges. Frankly, you may not have to worry about finding a place to live soon. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will take care of that for you :)

Bretagne

Here's the problem with probation transfers. Everything depends on the interstate compact system, which does not run like a well-oiled machine, to say the least. Here's what you can do:

(1) pay all your fines and complete all your conditions on the charges you have already pled to so that Pennsylvania might feel more likely to discharge you from probation;

(2) call the local probation office in Vermont (the one in the county you want to move to) and ask them about accepting a probation transfer. You see, it's totally up to the state you're moving TO and not moving FROM to accept your probation transfer or not. If they're willing to do that, tell them you are going to talk to your PO and can you get a contact number where he/she can call them in Vermont?

(3) get an attorney to help you w/the harassment charges, otherwise you'll never get out of Pennsylvania b/c you'll be on probation forever.

If you really need to move, you can always ask to have your sentences executed and then you'll just sit all the jail time and then get released with no probation. Should DEFINATELY have an attorney if you're thinking about doing this to make sure stuff runs concurrently. Presumably it should run consecutively.

Good luck!

runnow

Run maybe?

They are too goody two shoes, there are ways to get pardoned, and if your gone from that state for a lONG time 7 + years, its easier, also pay whatever fines. I was convicted of dwai in colorado amongst a couple other misdemeanors (Underage drinkin) etc, and i moved. since then i was arrested for stupid ****, and was released.(And every jail does NCIC search) UNLESS ITS A FELONY< THEY WILL NOT CHASE YOU. cost is way to much for a ****in dwai, license may be a problem but social security and passport you can get. The only time you might have an issue, is cuctoms. and they probably wont arrest youif its only a misdemeanor. So what these "Turn yourself in" dimwits said, is crap. Sometimes the judicial system IS WRONG and i changed my life completely with out their "Help".

-IRANANDWON

FlyingRon

This isn't like leaving a state without paying a parking ticket. That probably won't catch up to you; this will. You really are best to deal with the situation now and in a legit manner. Running away from it will just add more charges against you and result in a decidedly more harsh penalty.
Yeah, it sucks, but this isn't going to disappear.
Even THAT will catch up with you. You'll get your license suspended and even if you get a license elsewhere that will also get suspended. Ain't computers wonderful?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">