• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Probation question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pimpind

What is the name of your state? Florida

I just went through trial with my lawyer and the judge issued me the misdemeanor dipostion. DUI under .2, for what its worth that makes a big difference in FL.

The terms are:
PROBATION:
- placed on supervised probation for 360
- report with in 48 business hours
CONFINEMENT:
- serve 1 day, but given credit for 1 day served (at time of arrest).
FINANCIAL:
- $250 + court fees / investigation fees
SCHOOLS:
- DUI counter attack class
COMMUNITY SERVICE:
- 50 hours
SELF IMPROVMENT:
- enroll / participate in additional treatment recommended by DUI counter attack class
- attend / complete Victim awareness program
LICENSE:
- suspended 6months
IMPOUND:
- 10 day impound of car

What i want to know if when i walk into that probation office in the court house on friday morning, what should i expect? Will i be asked to pee in a cup instantly or will it just be paper work / meeting with parole officer / setting up meeting for the yr?

paguy88

What is the name of your state? Florida

I just went through trial with my lawyer and the judge issued me the misdemeanor dipostion. DUI under .2, for what its worth that makes a big difference in FL.

The terms are:
PROBATION:
- placed on supervised probation for 360
- report with in 48 business hours
CONFINEMENT:
- serve 1 day, but given credit for 1 day served (at time of arrest).
FINANCIAL:
- $250 + court fees / investigation fees
SCHOOLS:
- DUI counter attack class
COMMUNITY SERVICE:
- 50 hours
SELF IMPROVMENT:
- enroll / participate in additional treatment recommended by DUI counter attack class
- attend / complete Victim awareness program
LICENSE:
- suspended 6months
IMPOUND:
- 10 day impound of car

What i want to know if when i walk into that probation office in the court house on friday morning, what should i expect? Will i be asked to pee in a cup instantly or will it just be paper work / meeting with parole officer / setting up meeting for the yr?
question?

why are you worried about if you will have to pee in a cup? are you on something you should not be?

pimpind

yes. to be honest.

im just wondering if the 1st meeting with the probation officer will involve a pee test. from what ive read it seems like the 1st meeting includes:

- completing the remaining paper work.
- setting up classes / community services
- setting up to pay for fines...

what are the chances of being asked to pee in a cup at the first meeting?

Dui-in-TX

I'm not certain, but I would think that coming up on any piss test will be a violation of your probation. All offices are different, some may ask you to, some may not.....

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I can tell you what to expect.....

You should go to the probation office as soon as possible, register with them and for the classes. These fill up quickly in Florida. LOL. You should dress well, not in a suit, but look sharp. You should be polite, not just to the officer to which you are assigned, but to the clerks behind the desk. Believe me, they share information and they can help or hinder, at their whim. Probation officers and office staff see several types of "customers" regularly, ranging from nut cases to total jerks, to smart asses to decent folks who want to get through it. Be the latter and you'll have them on your side. A very big plus. They have a great deal of power and you may need that one day.

As for the penalties, these too can be handled with some leniency by the PO. I can attest to the fact that they can wave off the vehicle impoundment, for instance. In Florida this can be a simple "boot" or they can tow the car and store it, all at your expense too.

The DUI classes are mandatory and can be interesting. First, you'll meet a counselor. This is a public servant social worker. You will already have filled out a lengthy questionaire. This counselor will review it and look for inconsistencies. He or she will ask you loaded questions. Answer honestly, show remorse, be real, and you'll get through it with ease. Don't try to BS this person / shrink; it's a waste of time for you both. There's another layer of assessment and that's the DUI class "teacher". He or she will also get to decide if you require further counselling. That's what the "additional treatment recommended by DUI counter attack class" is about. They choose, based on your behavior. Take part in the class discussions, but be reserved and "normal".

The MADD victim impact panel is a must, and you will gain a great deal from it if you try. It's worth it. I'd like to see people who have NOT been arrested for DUI go through that as a license requirement.

Everything else in your list sounds very normal, minimum penalties for this offense. And yes, being under 0.20 BAC is a big deal in Florida. And you're lucky it's that and not 0.16. That magic percentage is based on the old "twice the legal limit" figure, which used to be 0.10. Measures are afoot to reduce that twice number to 0.16 which is accurately twice the new legal limit.

As for being tested, yes, they can test you at the probation office, and in the DUI classes, at the start or finish or any point between. In fact, they have the authority to come to your house and test you any time they please, without notice. It's often a matter of the impression you make on the probation officer and staff.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">