• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI probation violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jareenk4

I received a DUI 7 years ago in Virginia. Part of my conditions for parole was to take a traffic class. I was a complete idiot, and never took the class, thinking that if they never made sure I took it, I was in the clear. Now that I have to renew my license, I am worried they will catch the mistake and suspend my license. What is the best option to move forward in this situation? I appreciate any help/advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I received a DUI 7 years ago in Virginia. Part of my conditions for parole was to take a traffic class. I was a complete idiot, and never took the class, thinking that if they never made sure I took it, I was in the clear. Now that I have to renew my license, I am worried they will catch the mistake and suspend my license. What is the best option to move forward in this situation? I appreciate any help/advice.
What makes you think your license isn't already suspended?

quincy

Why did you delete your other thread and repost it under a different user name (you changed your username from Neerajk4 to Jareenk4)?

Why has there been such a long delay in you renewing your license?

When someone fails to meet the terms of their probation, a probation violation report is generated. A non-compliance letter is issued, allowing for an immediate arrest. A violator's probation can be revoked and the original sentence imposed, or the terms of probation can be modified.

Did you ever receive a summons to appear for a probation violation hearing?

You can call the originating court to check on your status.

adjusterjack

I am worried they will catch the mistake and suspend my license. What is the best option to move forward in this situation?
Have somebody drive you to the DMV in case your license is suspended and you aren't allowed to drive anymore.

Then you get to spend a thousand or two on a lawyer to get it resolved.

TigerD

Two separate issues:
1. Probation requirements -- without more information we can't be precise, but unless you are still on probation, it is unlikely that you have an issue with probation. The solution to your failing to complete the requirements is to revoke your probation.
2. License issues: If you were required to take the class to get your license, then yes, you are at risk of an administrative suspension. But, if they have issued you a license since the DWI, you are probably in the clear.

TD

FlyingRon

If he can renew, he can renew online without having to worry about not being able to get back from the DMV. I suspect however, he's already suspended. VASAP is required to reinstate after any DUI conviction.

quincy

If he can renew, he can renew online without having to worry about not being able to get back from the DMV. I suspect however, he's already suspended. VASAP is required to reinstate after any DUI conviction.
I also suspect that Neera/Jareen's license is suspended. I suspect, too, that he missed a mandatory court hearing on his probation violation. I think that he would be smart to check on his probation status prior to trying to renew his license (or he can have an attorney do it for him).

And I am still curious about his rapid username change.

Jareenk4

thanks

Thank you for the advice. I believe you are correct in that my license is suspended. I don’t believe I received a letter from my probation officer. I don’t drive much, but I really lucked out in that I haven’t been pulled over. I’ll have to get someone to drive me for now. What are the chances of receiving additional punishment for not completing the class?

Just Blue

Thank you for the advice. I believe you are correct in that my license is suspended. I don’t believe I received a letter from my probation officer. I don’t drive much, but I really lucked out in that I haven’t been pulled over. I’ll have to get someone to drive me for now. What are the chances of receiving additional punishment for not completing the class?
Answer Quincy's question regarding your name change.

Jareenk4

user name change

Yeah my mistake. I wanted to change my user name to coincide with other usernames and passwords, and I didn't know how to change my username for this site. Sorry if I broke any rules.

quincy

Yeah my mistake. I wanted to change my user name to coincide with other usernames and passwords, and I didn't know how to change my username for this site. Sorry if I broke any rules.
Thank you for the clarification, Jareenk4.

To answer your earlier question, there is no way for any of us to tell you what the chances are that additional penalties will be assessed for your failure to satisfy the terms of your probation.

You can make a few phone calls yourself to see what the status is with your driver license and your probation, or you can contact an attorney in your area and have him/her make the calls for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">