• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fie

What is the name of your state? WA

So this is just for my curiosity. 3 years ago....
My friend who got the DUI went for a Hearing, which he said happened on the phone.
He got a letter in the mail from Department of Licensing advizing him that his Licence has been Suspended for 90days and after he would need to pay reinstate fee + get a SR-22 for 3 years.
Is this it? or will he have to go for a Criminal Court Hearing too? He never heard from anyone asking him to go back to court but he is not sure as he moved out of state 5 months after the hearing.
Is Suspension Hearing and getting a letter from DOL Subject:Final Order the last thing he has to deal with or will there be charges from any other institutions also?
Should he just be counting his blessings that he did not get jail time?
PS- He hasnt been driving for the last 3 years,to get his licence back does he just have to get it reinstated?

FlyingRon

There are two things that happen on a DUI. Your license gets suspended by the DOL in an administrative action and you are subject to criminal prosecution. Your friend went through the first one of these.

The criminal prosecution is generally less swift. I'd hope he has contacted a lawyer about this. If he misses his criminal procedings things can be pretty uncomfortable for him when he gets into a situation and finds an outstanding warrant.

fie

There are two things that happen on a DUI. Your license gets suspended by the DOL in an administrative action and you are subject to criminal prosecution. Your friend went through the first one of these.

The criminal prosecution is generally less swift. I'd hope he has contacted a lawyer about this. If he misses his criminal procedings things can be pretty uncomfortable for him when he gets into a situation and finds an outstanding warrant.
If he had a warrant on him would it have come up when he applied for a Student loan(Sallie Mae) or would his Car Insurance have gone up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">