• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI- Public Defender vs. Private Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hsj06

I was pulled over in Montgomery County Pa last weekend for not having my headlights on but I was also drinking. I was taken for a breathalyzer and I blew .199. Will a pudlic defender be able to represent me sufficently in court. I am not trying to fight anything and my main concern is having my ARD paperwork handled properly (assuming I qualify for ARD). Which leads me to part two..
This is my second DUI. The first one was in New Jersey in the summer of 2001 (just over 10 years ago.) With that prior offense, will I be able to qualify for ARD?
I appreciate any input/advice.

BL

I was pulled over in Montgomery County Pa last weekend for not having my headlights on but I was also drinking. I was taken for a breathalyzer and I blew .199. Will a pudlic defender be able to represent me sufficently in court. I am not trying to fight anything and my main concern is having my ARD paperwork handled properly (assuming I qualify for ARD). Which leads me to part two..
This is my second DUI. The first one was in New Jersey in the summer of 2001 (just over 10 years ago.) With that prior offense, will I be able to qualify for ARD?
I appreciate any input/advice.
For a second DUI in over 10 years a PD should be able to represent you sufficiently . PDs often go in front of the same Judge repeatedly and know how they rule on charges .

You should go over everything with the PD before appearing in front of the Judge for the final disposition . If during those proceedings the Judge is ruling differently that was agreed so to speak , as the Judge for a moment and speak to your PD quietly about it, so the PD can speak up about it.

Sometimes they are just overwhelmed with case after case an important issue may get lost .

Once I had a PD . The agreed upon fine was $100.00.The Judge during his ruling said 200 . I ask the Judge for a moment to speak with my lawyer . It was agreed to 3 times before of $100. The PD reminded the Judge of such. The Judge wasn't pleased but he said if that's what was agreed upon ,so be it.

OHRoadwarrior

You should hope a PD can do the job. Otherwise, you are not really indigent, because you have the means to hire an attorney but are sandbagging the system.

hsj06

Thank you, BL.
And as for OHRoadwarrior's commentary- FYI, I am definatly indigent. I do however have parents that I could borrow money from if need be. I am merely trying to see if I can get any info to help me weigh my options. Thanks, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">