• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcpinckney

OK, I was dumb and went out to the Circle-K a block from my house one night in March... It was a full moon, and I didn't realize i'd forgot to turn on my headlights... I don't normally drive under the influence, but my GF was feeding me tequilla shots, and it seemed so trivial to drive a block for some smokes. The cops pulled me over before I ever reaized my lites were off (30 seconds and I'd probably have realized)... They were right there.

So in Arizona, a DUI results in manditory jail time (Something I wasn't aware of since I'm from NY).

I took a plea bargain to reduce the charges, and will only need to spend 15 days in jail instead of 45, and can do the rest on a home arrest program. Otherwise I'd be in for 1.5 months.

Christ, this is my first offense ever... no harm done, no damage... how fair is that?

Then I found out today that they never even sent the blood sample in for testing, so their BAC numbers were just made up for the most part.

But I plead guilty based on what they told me and gave up my rights to appeal, etc.

This just sounds like dirty law, and I wonder if there is anything I can do at this point??

Please help if you have any experience in these kinds of matters.

My lawyer (****ty public defendent) said I didn't have any other options so I should take the plea... He also admitted that it's all about the money the state makes, not about the person.

What a screwed up system we have. Any advice or thoughts?

Tom

Mass_Shyster

My thoughts are that you should stop blaming others for your actions.

Your girlfriend did not make you commit a crime, the police officer who stopped you did not make you commit a crime, and your (underpaid) public defender did not make you commit a crime.

If you can prove that your attorney provided ineffective counsel, you can ask for a new trial. You don't get a public defender for that, so you'll have to pay an attorney to represent you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">