• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Questions in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrodyH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello all,

i recently on January 16th made the biggest error in judgement that I have ever made in my life and was pulled over and charged with DUI. I have never been arrested before and never been in the back of a squad car or handcuffed or anything of that sort so I have several questions to ask before I have my court date Feb 4th.

Key Facts:

I co-operated 100% with every test and took the brethalizer at the police station.
I blew .214 and .218 (bad I know)
1st Offense
I paid my own bond of 750.00 (did not use any bail bonds)
I have a Minnesota Drivers License (originally from Minnesota, moved 3 months ago)
I am 27 years old.
I am on disability.
I did not cause any property damage or crash or anything.

Questions:

I know due to how much I blew that basically all the penalties double... I am expecting to pay when all is said and done about 2500-3000.00 is this figure too high or low?

I know I can face jail time, typically for someone like me how much jail time do most people face for a first offense?

I was assigned a public defender, is it better to try to plead no contest with the county prosecutor or go forward before the judge?

I know I will lose my license for at least 6 months, I again am on disability.. is there anything else I should know or fight regarding this?

Any other key things I need to know regarding what I am about to go through (please keep in mind the most trouble I have ever been is getting a speeding ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit)?

Thanks in Advance

Brody

P.S. I am not looking for any "easy way" out of this. I know what I did, I know that I made an extreme error in judgement. I just want to prepare myself for what I should expect.

FlyingRon

If you have to ask these questions, you need the PD. Even if you plead no contest/guilty you want to have that advice.

You could get nine months, I don't think that is likely.

You can guarantee the 180 day suspension, perhaps longer. You will have to take the dui classes (and finish them before a hardship license is possible).

Expect large fines for the high BAC.

Expect community service.

Your "on disability" means little. You are obviously able enough to get tanked and drive, your able to deal with the consequences.

BrodyH

Thank you for your reply,

I just put disability for the sake of pay. I am not asking for sympathy, I was just trying to let people know who reply that I won't qualify for any hardship license or work permit or anything like that.

My sole reason for posting is I already know I am in for a serious situation, I want to do what I can to avoid wasting the courts resources, the publics time and take a step towards moving on.

Sorry if my "Disability" comment offends anyone.

Thanks

Brody

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">