• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI-rock cocaine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va

On June 6, I was driving near the Pentagon. I was supposed to yield right, but being new to the area I drove past the yield & reversed illegally because there was no traffic behind me. I clearly could've driven straight & made a right at the stop sign in front of me, but no, i didn't & was subsequently pulled over by Pentagon police. They asked for my license & registration, which took me a while to find between my trunk & the junk in my car, until I finally found it buried under some junk in the passenger seat. The officers checked my license out, came back & gave me a warning, then asked to search my car. I was told its something they do to make sure no one is carrying any weapons, so I let them search my car knowing I had crack inside.
They found my pipe with a couple rocks under the seat in a bag.
I was arrested & @ 43, this was my 1st arrest ever.
I was detained & performed the sobriety tests, admitted the drugs were mine, but refused a blood test.
After a couple of hours, I was released, given 4 citations, with an August 22 date. Last Saturday I received a certified letter changing my 1st court date to July 11.
I am beyond sorry for doing crack, but I feel I wanted to & needed to get caught, because I always felt guilty smoking it. I'm so terrified of the consequences of my stupidity & I'll do whatever I need to do to stay out of jail! Is there anything I can do now to prepare myself for my 1st court date? I can't afford an attorney & was told by the Va public defenders office that they are apointed by the court, I can't go to the office to request one myself.
Would it be wise for me to find an NA group now? Should I wait until after my 1st court date to find one?
I'm afraid I'll go to jail & I'm just so lost now!

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va

On June 6, I was driving near the Pentagon. I was supposed to yield right, but being new to the area I drove past the yield & reversed illegally because there was no traffic behind me. I clearly could've driven straight & made a right at the stop sign in front of me, but no, i didn't & was subsequently pulled over by Pentagon police. They asked for my license & registration, which took me a while to find between my trunk & the junk in my car, until I finally found it buried under some junk in the passenger seat. The officers checked my license out, came back & gave me a warning, then asked to search my car. I was told its something they do to make sure no one is carrying any weapons, so I let them search my car knowing I had crack inside.
They found my pipe with a couple rocks under the seat in a bag.
I was arrested & @ 43, this was my 1st arrest ever.
I was detained & performed the sobriety tests, admitted the drugs were mine, but refused a blood test.
After a couple of hours, I was released, given 4 citations, with an August 22 date. Last Saturday I received a certified letter changing my 1st court date to July 11.
I am beyond sorry for doing crack, but I feel I wanted to & needed to get caught, because I always felt guilty smoking it. I'm so terrified of the consequences of my stupidity & I'll do whatever I need to do to stay out of jail! Is there anything I can do now to prepare myself for my 1st court date? I can't afford an attorney & was told by the Va public defenders office that they are apointed by the court, I can't go to the office to request one myself.
Would it be wise for me to find an NA group now? Should I wait until after my 1st court date to find one?
I'm afraid I'll go to jail & I'm just so lost now!
Start attending NA now. If you are/were using drugs, it can help you to get clean.

Thank you. I'm more sorry about using than I can express & to think that I could've gotten into an accident is so mind clearing to me. Thinking about that & the possibility of losing my freedom over this is really terrifying to me.

TigerD

Since I can't afford a lawyer, I'll be going alone. Can you tell me what I can expect to happen?
You can expect to lose your license and to face some combination of jail, fine, and probation that will impact your life for several years.

Since you will not be able to actually walk the probation (few do - almost no crackheads), you will bounce in and out of jail for a few years. You will meet and associate with the lowest of society and probably be lead into other stupid crap or beaten down and pimped out to other inmates. Ultimately, you will lose any form of gainful employment and probably die homeless, under the influence of drugs or alcohol on the street somewhere. And the only ones who will care are the people for whom you created paperwork by dying on their shift and forcing them to clean up your body.

Find the money for a lawyer or talk to a public defender. It could make all the difference. And for God's sake grow up. Stop acting like a stupid teenager. There is no excuse for an adult to be playing with crack or cocaine.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">