• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Sentencing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eaponte23

What is the name of your state? CA

Just over a year ago I was living in CA and got pulled over for a DUI. I was sentenced to 2 days community service, $1,500 fine, schooling (3 months worth or so) and I was self represented. Shortly thereafter I lost my job due to the conviction.

I was unable to support myself even after finding two new jobs. More pressing matters like my rent, cellphone, child support and cost of living in general where too much for me to pay. Then the dominoes fell, I lost my apartment, car, and my girlfriend. I was basically homeless and still didn't pay any of the restitution or attend any classes (cost for class @$500). I did however sign up for the community service, even they asked me to pay $76 so I can work for free...

I had no choice but to come to Puerto Rico and live with my mother or be put out in the streets of California. It just got really out of control for me. I know I must have a warrant for my arrest.

I'm planning on going back soon and would like to pay what I owe to the state and get this whole thing behind me. What do i need to do once I get to California? Will I be jailed? I don't recall the judge saying I'd be jailed if I don't comply with the sentence...

I'm pretty scared :( Thanks in advance!

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? CA

Just over a year ago I was living in CA and got pulled over for a DUI. I was sentenced to 2 days community service, $1,500 fine, schooling (3 months worth or so) and I was self represented. Shortly thereafter I lost my job due to the conviction.
You needed to go back to the court (or the probabtion office) and tell them the issues. They may have even authorized the move to Puerto Rico. Too late now, you are an absconder.
Yes turn yourself in and be prepared to spend at least some time in jail (especially if you don't have anybody to bail you out in the interim).

Eaponte23

You needed to go back to the court (or the probabtion office) and tell them the issues. They may have even authorized the move to Puerto Rico. Too late now, you are an absconder.
Yes turn yourself in and be prepared to spend at least some time in jail (especially if you don't have anybody to bail you out in the interim).
Some time? Hmmm... That sucks big time.

Do I just go to the court or call up the county clerks office and speak to them first about my situation? Going to the local police station would just make this process alot longer for me correct?

Eaponte23

Well I was working for Auto Trader/Diablo Dealer. I was an account rep. so I needed to drive upwards of 300 miles daily. I actually got pulled over on my way to work. I had alot to drink the night before, went to bed at around 3:30 AM and got pulled over for speeding on my way to work. I was running late and driving a brand new Chrysler 300 with the Hemi :eek:. The BAC was at .18, at the stationhouse it was .1... The CHP said I must've been sh!t-faced the nite before!

I was pretty shocked at how this all transpired and basically fell into depression. Lost my job cause they randomly check your driving record and my life went into a tailspin.

Last edited:

K24K

leaving the sate is a violation of probation. depending on your PO, he can send you to jail for a month or two, or he can be nice.

I drove a car after my 2nd DUI and got caught, ran away......there was a warrant on my arrest and I was supposed to do 5 month in jail. Just like many celebrities right now......thanks to my friend who is a lawyer and a nice judge, i am a free man. I sold my car after this. :)

Eaponte23

leaving the sate is a violation of probation. depending on your PO, he can send you to jail for a month or two, or he can be nice.

I drove a car after my 2nd DUI and got caught, ran away......there was a warrant on my arrest and I was supposed to do 5 month in jail. Just like many celebrities right now......thanks to my friend who is a lawyer and a nice judge, i am a free man. I sold my car after this. :)
I wasn't sentenced to any type of probation, as far as I can remember...

I was just sentenced to pay the restitution, 2 days comm, service and 3 month worth of school. Unless I completely forgot what I pleaded to then I don't have that over my head. I hope not, lol.

paguy88

Well I was working for Auto Trader/Diablo Dealer. I was an account rep. so I needed to drive upwards of 300 miles daily. I actually got pulled over on my way to work. I had alot to drink the night before, went to bed at around 3:30 AM and got pulled over for speeding on my way to work. I was running late and driving a brand new Chrysler 300 with the Hemi :eek:. The BAC was at .18, at the stationhouse it was .1... The CHP said I must've been sh!t-faced the nite before!

I was pretty shocked at how this all transpired and basically fell into depression. Lost my job cause they randomly check your driving record and my life went into a tailspin.
no way man**************. sounds like my bud who got a dui and drives a compnay car... he is going too lose is licenese for 30 days... and is not going to tell work for fear he will be fired... he wont get a conviction... but the pre trial diveroniary program will be on his drivers record for 10 years... He has decided not to say anything and lay low.. for the 30 days.. then hope the companies insurances dont catch it... in the fall... honestly I don't blame him.. 50/50 chance they would fire him i would guess..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">