• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchohio

What is the name of your state? VA (live in DC)

I was in a fender bender collision with another vehicle. The police came and gave me a sobriety test, which i failed and had to spend the night in jail. I blew a .15 at the time of booking and the magistrate set the bail at $2000. This was my first offense in VA, so i was eligible for bond. Anyhow, I have a prior conviction from PA which resulted in ARD and fines imposed. Considering this is my first offense in VA, but second overall and I live in Washington , DC. Does anyhow know what fines, driving restricitions, etc will be imposed on me?

I've started looking at the laws and lawyers, but would like any answers if anyone has any.

Thanks.

FlyingRon

If you successfully completed your ARD in PA, then it doesn't count against you in VA.
This is your "first" offense.

At .15% BAC, you trigger the next round of sanctions however. In addition, the fact that you were involved in an accident will generally get you a little less leniency from the judge.

You're looking at a year revocation and an interlock prior to being reinstated or getting a restricted license. Most judges are going to want 60 days before considering the restricted.

You'll need to complete the VASAP.

You're looking at a fine in the $250 range and 5 days in jail. Most likely you'll get 60 suspended to 5.

jchohio

VASAP is expected as is the fine ranging from $250 - $2500.
Would a lawyer most likely be able to get the the jail reduced or lifted to community service? As far as the interlock goes, if I don't have a car will they still make me pay a fine (I live near a metro station and don't really need a vehicle)?
Also, are they able to suspend my license if I live in Washington, DC? I currently have a 60 day suspension of not being able to drive in VA and my license was not pulled by the officer since i am not a resident of VA.

FlyingRon

VASAP is expected as is the fine ranging from $250 - $2500.
Would a lawyer most likely be able to get the the jail reduced or lifted to community service?
He could try. However, if this was Fairfax or Loudoun, I'm not hopeful.
As far as the interlock goes, if I don't have a car will they still make me pay a fine (I live near a metro station and don't really need a vehicle)?
If you don't drive, you won't need the interlock. Your license will be good only on interlock equipped cars.
Also, are they able to suspend my license if I live in Washington, DC? I currently have a 60 day suspension of not being able to drive in VA and my license was not pulled by the officer since i am not a resident of VA.
You will be banned from driving in Virginia on conviction. As soon as DC gets wind of the conviction, they'll suspend you there.

paguy88

I was in a fender bender collision with another vehicle. The police came and gave me a sobriety test, which i failed and had to spend the night in jail. I blew a .15 at the time of booking and the magistrate set the bail at $2000. This was my first offense in VA, so i was eligible for bond. Anyhow, I have a prior conviction from PA which resulted in ARD and fines imposed. Considering this is my first offense in VA, but second overall and I live in Washington , DC. Does anyhow know what fines, driving restricitions, etc will be imposed on me?

I've started looking at the laws and lawyers, but would like any answers if anyone has any.

Thanks.

couple questions. how long ago did you do thru ARD?

if it's less than 10 years.. VA could view it as a seoncd offence.. PA would... check with your lawyer...

ALSO if you completed ARD your record was expunged and YOU WHERE NOT CONVICTED... but again if that was less than 10 years ago.. VA might use this as a second offence..

not to get all over you but PA gave you a pass on the first one... why didn't you learn your lesson?

mmann11

My Experience

I just went through this. When VA will pull your record it will show your prior DUI, if it doesn't don't tell them you have one. Hopefully you did not tell the cop at the time of arrest. Also, if it does show up on your record, it won't have a conviction date; therefore, they cannot proove that you were ever convicted of the offence. This will probably include VASAP, 1 year restricted license, weekend or two in jail. If you don't like what you get in the traffic court, appeal it to the circuit court, the judges there are a bit less up tight. Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">