• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI while in Military 2001

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vicsd2121

What is the name of your state? California

I had a DUI 2 days prior to deployment, upon return it was was knocked down to a dry reckless by the courts (first time offender). I did not attend a DMV hearing due to 60+ day deployment. I was 21 at the time....I am 28 now and just realized that my licence has been suspended since 2001!
I have had no driving issues since or before 2001....what should I do to get my licence back? Do I still have to jump through hoops for the DMV?

xylene

What is the name of your state? California

I had a DUI 2 days prior to deployment, upon return it was was knocked down to a dry reckless by the courts (first time offender). I did not attend a DMV hearing due to 60+ day deployment. I was 21 at the time....I am 28 now and just realized that my licence has been suspended since 2001!
I have had no driving issues since or before 2001....what should I do to get my licence back? Do I still have to jump through hoops for the DMV?
If you are in California and the offense occurred in California, go to the California DMV and figure it out.

I'm not sure why you see your fair and justified punishment as 'hoops' or expected that your driving license would have been kosher, as if by magic.

In all honesty you were cut a tremendous break by the prosecution given your circumstances with deploying.

Do not drive until you have this squared away.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

You go to the DMV with $125 and proof of financial responsibility and if the time has expired on the suspension you'll get it reissued.

Well, If I had to make some guesses your suspension could be related to missing that hearing if you did not notify the court about the deployment so the hearing could be rescheduled upon your retun. CA probaly has other procedures or programs you have to complete resulting from your dry reckless.

Give what FlyingRon said a shot. If you don't get your license reissued, at least you can find out what you have to do to clear things up.

Oh and by the way, I know you made a mistake a few years ago and that's okay, but I wanted you to know your devotion and sacrifice for our country serving in the military is VERY MUCH appreciated. THANK YOU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">