• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWAI in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aek9535

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I just spoke to an attorney who told me I could not get my DWI reduced to a DWAI unless I receive a letter from my employer saying I will be terminated with a conviction of a DWI. This is my first offense, was not told exactly my BAC level only heard someone say "12", I was cooperative and released with no bail same night.

Is this true or is it normal for an automatic reduction to DWAI for first time offense?

aek9535

Understandably it is not automatic, bad choice of wording on my part. I was under the impression that unless you had an extremely high BAC they normally would IF you were compliant and have a clean record.

I'm talking to more lawyers tomorrow but this is another avenue of information I am approaching.

I take full responsibility for my actions but knowing every bit of the laws and how they effect me is the best thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">