• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI 2rs ago, should I tell my Dr. I have a drinking problem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hey All,

I got my DWI about 2 years ago, I finished all of my requirements a long time ago, I was not deemed to be a problem drinker.

Recently I've been thinking I need to talk to my doctor about it though and make sure I'm OK, and make sure I cut it out completely.

I have read that a man got his license revoked by a state when his doctor turned him in as saying that he had a problem with drinking? ( I think the guy said he had a 6 pack at night when he got home from work)

I've also seen that if you admit to coming in for any drinking related issues, most insurance companies will not look at you. (I'm self employeed so mine is based off of my health, and it's expensive as it is.)

I'm probably going to not claim my insurance and just handle this as a self pay visit with a different doctor.

Anyone know if anything can legally get back to the state if I tell them I've cut out drinking, but I think I had a problem in the past, and need to get it checked out?

garrula lingua

Unless your car keys are stuck in one of your body cavities, why would you discuss a DUI with your Dr ????

By all means, you should discuss the effect past alcohol use may have on your body.

Discuss your medical problems; why discuss legal problems with an MD ?

las365

Okay, you stopped drinking after your DWI and thought you had it under control. Now you are drinking again and you know you don't have it under control. It is causing some kind of physical problem that has you worried enough to seek medical treatment.

You need to tell the doctor the truth about how much you drink so s/he can properly treat you. You do not have to label yourself as an alcoholic or "problem drinker." Doctors do not report alcoholics to the government. The state isn't going to come after you unless you have another alcohol-related criminal incident.

Your insurance company does have access to your medical records and the doctor may express an opinion as to whether you are an alcoholic; but as long as you maintain your coverage with the same carrier, I think they are on the hook unless your policy specifically excludes alcohol-related illnesses (others more knowledgeable than I can confirm this or pronounce it wrong.) Insurance companies pay for treatment for illnesses that are caused or exacerbated by alcohol use all the time.

A doctor can't make sure that you don't drink. If you have depression or anxiety disorder (common in alcoholics) medication may help as part of your recovery. Please check out AA. Many people have found the support they need to do what they really want to do - stop drinking - through the fellowship of that group. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">